• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gaming laptop plugged for a long period of time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

i am planning on buying a gaming laptop that will replace my 5 year old gaming PC. i chose a laptop because i tend not to stay in one place and it will enable to let me play anywhere may it be online or offline. I game for about a minimum of 5 hours in one sitting. The question is: is it ok to leave the laptop plugged to a power source for a long period of time? will that affect/shorten battery life? I need some enlightenment from you guys! Thanks!

The main thing that will affect battery life is temperatures and discharge/recharge cycles. In general though this should not be a big issue. The main thing is to actually discharge the battery on occasion to keep the cells healthy.

I had ****y emachines laptop always had it plugged into wall, now its almost 7 yo and battery is still alive can endure 2 hours. I think having it plugged in will save your battery but I am not sure. Laptop can run even without battery inside it long as charger is in it, acting as power supply

I've had my MSI GE62 6QF gaming laptop for over a year now. I run it almost always plugged in. The battery is internal and not user swappable in normal use. I read somewhere that even when mains powered, it can take power in parallel from the battery to supplement delivery in intensive use. Battery life isn't great anyway, even when not gaming... wouldn't expect much more than a couple hours but I never formally measured.

thanks for all of your answers! currently planning to get an acer predator 17 inches gaming laptop as it is relatively cheaper than some of its counterparts... thanks again!

Back