• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AM3+ Chips to buy

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

I need ideas on the lowest end fx cpu that can still perform decently. I know the 9590 which is what i have now is only a 8350 that is factory over clocked. Should i just grab a 8350? or maybe a 8320? I honestly dont even need 8 cores. I dont render or anything, i just play games. I am trying to save the most money i can since i cant afford to much. something cheap that will still hold up to bf4 at high or something.

Last edited:
Would a 4300 work? I would rather stay away from used to be honest since my 9590 was bought used and its dying.

But for the price difference i dont see why i wouldnt go for more cores.

Last edited:
Your FX-9590 is dying? Do I dare ask how you've come to that conclusion?!

How about save your moneys.

Set FX-9590 frequency to the 4ghz the FX-8350 would run stock and try around 1.400v to 1.4250v range and see if it handles better with lower temps.

Oh GOD! I read through quickly and touched up some things here and there. You have some issues, but are not entirely related to JUST the processor.

First off that board is not made for low end slow memory modules. That's why it posts stock 11-11-11 timings. You would look for some High speed memory sticks that will better agree with the bios's default settings. So what I had done to cure the memory dealings was got my hands on some Corsair memory and ran 1100mhz daily ++ on timings 11-13-13-36 ( If memory serves today) I just selected what speed I wanted and let the board set those timings instead of the Cas9 at 2133mhz the sticks where rated for. Had no issues ever. 1200mhz was not an issue.

Another problem you have is the constant beating that poor bios takes. Now this goes hand and hand to the CPU. I struggled with My FX-9590 before AND after I removed the IHS plate off of it. It's hot. Way hot. Will not ever be stable running even remotely near that supposed 70c threshold. You want to be able to maintain temps below 55c both socket and core for this chip to work good and stable.

If this was my rig.....

First, a nice loong hard cmos reset. 12-24 hours in a nice dry atmosphere.

Secondly, would put down some real moneys into a cooling solution. The H115 in your sig is a joke when it comes to handling 220W while at a 22.5x multiplier the CPU requested P-state voltage is up around 1.5250v. The Cpu can request this voltage on the millisecond level especially when it's using turbo. This applies even when your slow temp reading software does not display it. All while running this configuration stock.

This chip will NEVER run 4.7ghz stable under 1.490v. Tried many times for lower. However if you lower the frequency at this voltage you gain stability.

Must run manually implemented voltage. Must run LLC at Ultra High to pin that desired voltage.

Had to run 2x 120.3 rads push pull with another 120.2 rad for safe measures. Top speed was 4.9xxghz While running 1.5250v. Temps where an issue over 62c. Hang ups where an issue at over 55c.

Here's a thread that I wrote up some time ago. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758169-Formula-z-and-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing

If you find a better read for the understanding of this processor, I'd like to see it. But in a nut shell, you bought a system that is meant for heavy extreme cooling and overclocking. Not a daily rig.

Would a 4300 work? I would rather stay away from used to be honest since my 9590 was bought used and its dying.

But for the price difference i dont see why i wouldnt go for more cores.

Yes, it would work. They overclock to about 4.5 ghz but will be a bummer for gaming.

Oh GOD! I read through quickly and touched up some things here and there. You have some issues, but are not entirely related to JUST the processor.

First off that board is not made for low end slow memory modules. That's why it posts stock 11-11-11 timings. You would look for some High speed memory sticks that will better agree with the bios's default settings. So what I had done to cure the memory dealings was got my hands on some Corsair memory and ran 1100mhz daily ++ on timings 11-13-13-36 ( If memory serves today) I just selected what speed I wanted and let the board set those timings instead of the Cas9 at 2133mhz the sticks where rated for. Had no issues ever. 1200mhz was not an issue.

Another problem you have is the constant beating that poor bios takes. Now this goes hand and hand to the CPU. I struggled with My FX-9590 before AND after I removed the IHS plate off of it. It's hot. Way hot. Will not ever be stable running even remotely near that supposed 70c threshold. You want to be able to maintain temps below 55c both socket and core for this chip to work good and stable.

If this was my rig.....

First, a nice loong hard cmos reset. 12-24 hours in a nice dry atmosphere.

Secondly, would put down some real moneys into a cooling solution. The H115 in your sig is a joke when it comes to handling 220W while at a 22.5x multiplier the CPU requested P-state voltage is up around 1.5250v. The Cpu can request this voltage on the millisecond level especially when it's using turbo. This applies even when your slow temp reading software does not display it. All while running this configuration stock.

This chip will NEVER run 4.7ghz stable under 1.490v. Tried many times for lower. However if you lower the frequency at this voltage you gain stability.

Must run manually implemented voltage. Must run LLC at Ultra High to pin that desired voltage.

Had to run 2x 120.3 rads push pull with another 120.2 rad for safe measures. Top speed was 4.9xxghz While running 1.5250v. Temps where an issue over 62c. Hang ups where an issue at over 55c.

Here's a thread that I wrote up some time ago. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/758169-Formula-z-and-FX-9590-Hangs-and-Freezing

If you find a better read for the understanding of this processor, I'd like to see it. But in a nut shell, you bought a system that is meant for heavy extreme cooling and overclocking. Not a daily rig.

The timings are actually 9-9-9-24-33 at 1600mhz. Here is the problem with your solution and what i attempted later in the thread. I tried clocking it to 4.5 with no change. 4.7 at 1.5 -1.55 with no change. Voltage doesnt make a difference here in my case. It will actually run stable under 1.5 voltage. That is not my problem. I tried all the things you have said and nothing changed, i still have the problem. It is either my cpu or mobo and there is only one way to find out.

I dont disagree my H115 is a joke, unless you have 500 bucks to give me or a full custom water loop than i suggest you find a different alternative. If you didnt notice, i dont have they money right now..... Like i stated, i needed something cheap.

And yes, i know. Please tell me something i dont. Sorry i get frustrated with this. I know i ****ed up with this build and i dont have the money to fix it. especially since i am getting ****ty performance.

Last edited:
Actually.... I have those rads sitting in a box with a variable speed pump and mini res right here. right next to me. I tore that system down a while ago.

Now you go and buy a slower processor.... and will have crappy performance. It's a no win situation.

Bios can be recovered. It's not totally shot. It sounds like you have a running but unstable system.

I will blame the CPU temps over the bios and board though.

4.5ghz still has a p-state request of 1.5250 volts. So yea it won't be stable. You'd drop 1000mhz or could try shutting off cores to Greatly lower TDP, but still start at that lower 3.5ghz and say 1.350v, see how the cooler handles it.

I KNOW for a fact if you screen shot me a load temp, it's crazy high. Probably high enough to bet your lucky to ever even post an error code.

99.5% of the issue is that cooling solution with FX-9590. It is why mine is de-lidded. I cured the stability issues and was able to maintain 5.2ghz Prime95 and OCCT linpack stable. Max liquid OC at 5.7ghz

Now about that 500$ you want to not spend, If your serious about cooling this hardware, find my PM box so we don't break forum rules. ;)

I bought a 6300 for 98 on amazon. I will get it by tomorrow. I hope its not the mobo.

NVRM that last sentence. XD

Actually the temps were just shy of TJmax at 4.7 ghz. Right now at 1.38v @ 4.5ghz and is stable gamed for 3 hours, and AMD OD stability test for an hour. AMD OD max temps were 46c.

It is still cheaper to buy a 6300 vs another 9590. Plus i obviously dont have the experience to get this chip running correctly. I honestly dont even think i have room for a custom loop. i do have high cfm fans in there though. I really dont have any cash. I bought this cpu with my credit card. And it is my daily rig, so yeah.

I also went to your post when i was trying to fix mine.

Yes, it would work. They overclock to about 4.5 ghz but will be a bummer for gaming.

They are ok for gaming if you overclock and pair it with a decent GPU (played everything at 1080p 60fps so far with my 980ti). Even at 5ghz it REALLY doesn't like multitasking though, "handles" it but doesn't like it :(

Actually the temps were just shy of TJmax at 4.7 ghz. Right now at 1.38v @ 4.5ghz and is stable gamed for 3 hours, and AMD OD stability test for an hour. AMD OD max temps were 46c.

It is still cheaper to buy a 6300 vs another 9590. Plus i obviously dont have the experience to get this chip running correctly.

Just run it at 4.5ghz?

It is still cheaper to buy a 6300 vs another 9590. Plus i obviously dont have the experience to get this chip running correctly. I honestly dont even think i have room for a custom loop. i do have high cfm fans in there though. I really dont have any cash. I bought this cpu with my credit card. And it is my daily rig, so yeah.

I also went to your post when i was trying to fix mine.

So I don't understand. If the FX-9590 is stable at 4.5 ghz on 1.38 volts why are you downgrading to a FX-6300 which will overclock to about 4.5 ghz but have fewer cores? The FX-9590 will give you better performance than the FX-6300. When I recommended the FX-6300 it was in the context of the FX-9590 just plain not working correctly at any speed and voltage and you were considering trying to get your money back from Frys to buy a replacement chip that you could afford.

Having said that, the FX-6300 should be much better suited to your cooling capacity. And if there is nothing actually wrong with the FX-9590 and the whole problem turns out to be inadequate cooling you could sell it on ebay. Did the FX-9550 come with it's own water cooler?

Last edited:
The computer doesnt want to boot at any speed and voltage. That is the problem. It is either from the cpu or mobo. I have asked peoples help (on this forum) and came to the conclusion that i need to either start send parts in or throw another cpu in the mobo and see what happens. I will probably hold on to the chip until i know for sure what the problem is. If it turns out to the the mobo i will sell the 9590.

I have tried running the chips at different voltages and speeds with the same result, doesnt want to boot. CPU error light turns on when it doesnt want to boot. It is either the cpu or the cpu socket and i dont have a cpu lying around to test. Which is why i bought another one.

More advice would have been awesome a week ago when i started that other thread. But this is where i am. I talked to asus and they said it is either the cpu or the socket. Not caused by gpu, psu, or memory.

I also dont have the receipt from frys, i have no idea where i put it.... So i dont think i can return it anyways. Especially it being used.

Last edited:
Okay, let's see if the FX-6300 fixes things. I've used this chip myself and it's a good bang for the buck.

Always keep receipts. Start a filing system. Life lesson here.

There are a lot of life lessons here, not just the receipts lol.

I dont even know what to hope for anymore. I will just see what happens.

Don't get discouraged. Keep it in perspective. The welfare of the free world is not in the balance.

Don't get discouraged. Keep it in perspective. The welfare of the free world is not in the balance.

You are completely right. I just dont like having the fact that I did mess up on this build always shoved in my face. i know i messed up, just trying to fix it. I mean there could have been worse things to die, like the gpu so thats good.

Do you feel I or others have been shoving your mistakes in your face or do you mean the situation itself is doing that?

Back