• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC: FX6300 on M5A99FX PRO R2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some voltage is too low during the boot up stage to allow it to complete. You may need to manipulate some bios parameters to provide more voltage during bootup. More vcore might do it or adjusting the LLC.

Thank you for the reply. My vcore is set to 1.39375 but it only goes to 1.39 under prime95 load, maybe it's just not reading the other decimal places.

My CPU LLC is set to ultra high and my CPU/NB LLC is set to high.

Here is a step by step of exactly what is happening.
1. Power button on
2. Asus logo
3. Indefinite black screen
4. Power button off
5. Power button on
6. One beep sound
7. Proper boot

Also what is the difference between current capability and LLC in the bios? Current capability is a percentage 100%+ options that apparently add extra power support and LLC is a percentage under %100 percent, is that the only difference?

Any specific tips about what I can do to fix this?

Are you absolutely sure that black screen is indefinite since it happend to me before and it lasted about 30-50 seconds after failed OC setup later it would run fine after proper OC.

What is the boot order set to in bios? System drive should be first. Also, a lot of newer motherboards have a designated SATA port for the boot drive. Usually its "O" or "1" depending which they start numbering with. Check for that. It will often be labeled as such.

I would also recommend checking the hard drive "SMART" information with Crystaldiskinfo standard edtition. It's a nice piece of free software that can alert you to pending hard disk failure. Healthy color is blue and trouble is yellow.

It's normal for vcore to drop some in Windows and even more under load from what you set it to in bios. LLC is designed to somewhat offset that.

The boot priority is good, the smart info is all good. Not sure where to find info for the SATA. Could it have anything to do with HT or NB Voltage?

Does it do the same boot issue if you go for lower OC/voltage, say 4.3ghz for example ? from your 1st post at 4ghz it's already at ~55c peak which is my personal stop point on AMD OC's (i'm on air cooling)...

That first post is with my bios setting on auto clock, so it is not a good representation of temp issues just a test.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, a lot of newer motherboards have a designated SATA port for the boot drive. Usually its "O" or "1" depending which they start numbering with. Check for that. It will often be labeled as such.

How would I look into this?

That first post is with my bios setting on auto clock, so it is not a good representation of temp issues just a test.

Besides the point, 1.296v is fairly low for a 212. Max temp on my setup was ~55c with Prime95 2h blend (fans at 100%) with roughly the same setup. Question stands, does the boot issue only happen when OC ? if so does it happen at any OC speed or just at 4.4ghz+ ?

With the OP's board and a FX 6350 I topped out at 4500 MHz no matter how much voltage I threw at it. Some have gotten higher, but 4400-4500 MHz isn't uncommon for the FX 6xxx chips. I did have to run the "Repair My Computer" option from my W7 disc after a run at some higher clocks, though. Might be worth a try, or the ever popular sfc in a cmd prompt window.

Ok I set my bios to all standard defaults, and the problem persists. So I suspect it's a hard drive issue. I thought it was related to OC because that's when the issue started happening but maybe it was a coincidence

Ok I set my bios to all standard defaults, and the problem persists. So I suspect it's a hard drive issue. I thought it was related to OC because that's when the issue started happening but maybe it was a coincidence

Sounds like it could be, or maybe the SATA controller. the port you are using or a bad SATA cable.

I did have to run the "Repair My Computer" option from my W7 disc after a run at some higher clocks, though. Might be worth a try, or the ever popular sfc in a cmd prompt window.

I tried run chkdsk with restart option so it would scan and repair the hard drive. It ends up staying at 10% for hours until it restarts again and boots with an error message. At this point I am pretty sure my hard drive has a fatal error and am probably going to replace. I mean I can't even run the chkdsk repair

Last edited:
I would try a clean install of the OS before I declared the drive dead/dying. I've borked my OS with failed overclocks more than once.

I would try a clean install of the OS before I declared the drive dead/dying. I've borked my OS with failed overclocks more than once.

I will try that as a last resort. I believe that my hardrive may have a bad sector which is why chkdsk command couldn't make it past 10% but I will not rule out the possibility that the OS is wonky

Hi, I'm back, just replaced my HDD... jk I replaced about a year ago when I was originally posting in this forum. Moral of the story, don't ever purchase a Seagate HDD, only reason I did is because it came with my discounted newegg bundle (I'm cheap, shoot me). Wanted to thank everyone for being so polite and helpful. Anyway here is the story up to now if anyone is interested:

Replaced my hardrive with a Samsung SSD, recovered data from the failed drive, and reformatted it to be a fat (pun intended) dummy drive for which I can dump bulk files. Overclocked at stable settings for about a year, however at some point started encountering an issue. My screen freezes randomly and unpredictably whether I am running demanding software or a word document. At first it was once a week, then it started happening daily. When I say screen freeze (NOT BOSD) I mean my screen is stuck on a frame perpetually and mouse/keyboard and commands are unresponsive. I have to force shutdown. This sort of freeze can happen with failing GPU, however one can't be sure without swapping out components and unfortunately my MOB doesn't have onboard display port (except for old-school VGA, but I don't have a VGA cord at this time).

I did the necessary tests to start narrowing down the source: memchk, dskchk, temp and voltage monitoring, checked event log. Note that I suspected it was related to overclocking and I set all my UEFI settings to default so the CPU is running on stock settings. Then, eventually I noticed something *suspenseful music*... my GPU was idling at 40C instead of a more common 30-35C. I opened the case and found that my GPU FAN WAS NOT RUNNING! For how long this was going on, I can't say, maybe it was right out-of-box, and I wouldn't have noticed until my system started freezing, which is obviously when I started looking into it. Or I'm just a naive fool.

I download EVGA Precision which is a GPU monitor and when it is open my fan is running, as soon as I close the software my fan stops... I don't know what to say about this. So now I always have Precision open and I reapplied thermal past now my GPU idles at <30C which is satisfying. Like I said my UEFI is all default now... yet my system continues to freeze, if not more frequently. I suspect permanent damage.

I have narrowed it down, either my GPU is failing from past heat stress, or my CPU is failing from overclocking. Either can cause this sort of freeze. Are there any UEFI settings that can ensure my CPU is stable as possible (more stable than default setting)? Any thoughts or comments about this?

- Notice that my CPU sometimes idles at <15C... sensor issue?
- PSU: EVGA 600B
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

With the OP's board and a FX 6350 I topped out at 4500 MHz no matter how much voltage I threw at it. Some have gotten higher, but 4400-4500 MHz isn't uncommon for the FX 6xxx chips. I did have to run the "Repair My Computer" option from my W7 disc after a run at some higher clocks, though. Might be worth a try, or the ever popular sfc in a cmd prompt window.

Do you remember the min stable voltage you used when topped out at 4500 mhz... what about 4000?

Sounds like it could be a Gpu issue due to the fan not spinning for a while. You may want to try replacing the TIM on it. I'd also try sweeping the drivers and reinstalling it. I'd be shocked if the Cpu is having issues due to being overclocked. Mines been Oced since day 1 release without a hiccup. You may want to try setting windows power management to high performance and see if it changes anything. Sometimes the the voltage on my 8350 will drop too low while at idle and my Pc will freeze. As far as your low temperature readings, the Fx chips temperatures aren't accurate until the Cpu us under load and at or above 40c so just ignore idle temps, unless above that.

Don't fans only start spinning after ~60c with Maxwell and above ? if so your 950 fits right in. That it behaves differently with EVGA Precision X could just be a custom profile that forces the fans on regardless of temp ?

Back