• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want to learn the basics of overclocking (with sabertooth 990fx r2.0 & FX9590)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cptobg

I want to learn the basics of overclocking (with sabertooth 990fx r2.0 & FX9590)

Hi here's my build https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/dHkjsJ . Last year I was running windows 7 and I had stability issues with the CPU running at 5GHz. Someone showed me how to downclock my CPU and it fixed my issues. But I did things that I don't remember anymore and I'm willing to learn the basics of a stable clocking. I feel overclockings are ''similar'' but I want, if possible, advices from someone who knows the sabertooth 990fx and the fx9590. My CPU is actually running at 4.7 GHz and I want to get it back to 5GHz understanding the process so I can learn things and then even help my friends. So that's it , it will be very appreciated if anybody can give me a little help. :D

:welcome: to the Forums cptobg. To start you out you'll want to read these guides.

1. Dolk's guide to Phenom II. I know you're not OCing a Phenom II but almost all AMD's clock in the same manner and Dolk's guide will teach you key terminology and methods required to properly overclock every AMD.

2. Bulldozer guide. This guide is a little more difficult to follow but matches your CPU.

Sabertooth has a difficult time maintaining 5GHz for the 9590. The lack of the four additional CPU plugs make it hard to push the current required for that speed. You can use the Turbo feature which will individually bring cores up to 5GHz, but it won't be the base clock and at all times running.

9590 loves current, and the Sabertooth doesn't have a lot to give unfortunately. No amount of working with the VRMs will help, it will just make it harder to cool the board and allow for good current leakage control. I run mine between 4.7 to 4.8GHz. 4.9 can be too unstable.

Sabertooth has a difficult time maintaining 5GHz for the 9590. The lack of the four additional CPU plugs make it hard to push the current required for that speed. You can use the Turbo feature which will individually bring cores up to 5GHz, but it won't be the base clock and at all times running.

9590 loves current, and the Sabertooth doesn't have a lot to give unfortunately. No amount of working with the VRMs will help, it will just make it harder to cool the board and allow for good current leakage control. I run mine between 4.7 to 4.8GHz. 4.9 can be too unstable.

I'm sorry, but I disagree.
I've had 5 gig 24/7 stable FX's on the Sabertooth (Rev. 1). Multiple FX's actually, including a 9590.
The Sabertooth is not much different than the coveted CH board in construction, just the CH board has a couple more bios options and more on board dodads.
On FX, as long as you have one of the top 3 boards for it, most of the issues are cooling related, or just plain silicon lottery on the processor.

Back