• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my temps in the safe zone?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Projekt Azure

Registered
Fx 6300 running at 4.3 GHz ia sitting at 57c (package) and 77-78c TMPIN1 which I'm pretty sure is socket temp. Using CPUID HWMonitor for temps. Am I in a safe zone? I'm new to overclocking so I'm trying to learn as I go.

I would say you're slightly over. General rule of thumb that I use is 63c Core temp and 75c package temp. Something you should be able to to is put some spt fans directly on your VRM heatsink (assuming you have one) like this.

20130623_133904.jpg

Here I used a pair of 80mm fans and just attached them with non-steel core bread ties. I've seen people use 2 sided tape also. Works great and should get you to a better temp.

Edit: They might even be 60mm fans. It's been awhile.

If those are Idle thats not good sign. What kind of cooling you have any fans?

Then those are not bad but still some VRM cooling wont hurt. I would do as Blaylock said or upgrade case cooling if you don't have any or both

Honestly part of the problem you're having is the fact that you paired an MSI 970 up with an AMD FX6xxx. The FX 6 & 8's are notoriously thirsty and the MSI 970 is a known under performer as far as power delivery goes. In fact if you look at the image closely you'll notice it's the exact same thing I did. :shrug:

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into some more fans or possibly a different motherboard all together. I'd rather buy a new one than cause serious heat damage

The CPU-z stress test is not one I would recommend nor have really used much beyond a quick try of it just a few minutes ago. I don't know any of the experienced regulars on this forum who rely on that one. I would strongly suggest you look at one of the other solutions I have outlined above.

I believe we are suggesting AIDA64 or Intel Burn Test for CPU stress test right now. The current Prime95 is just an unreasonable amount of heat that will never be duplicated in a real life scenario. Someone let me know if I'm off on this please.

I'm curious, how are you overclocking it. Are you using a build in Overclocking tool with the motherboard. Cpu-z stress test doesn't really strain the system that hard, those temps are pretty darn hot for Cpu-Z.

I believe we are suggesting AIDA64 or Intel Burn Test for CPU stress test right now. The current Prime95 is just an unreasonable amount of heat that will never be duplicated in a real life scenario. Someone let me know if I'm off on this please.

very correct Blaylock, use it for long cooling tests.

I had my suspicions, you're much better off overclocking it on your own through the BIOS. Most overclocking tools will give the Cpu way more voltage then it needs for X Mhz oc.

I adjusted the voltage as low as i could while still being stable. Currently at 1.384v. Should i still try in bios?

I might have found the issue. I ran a stress test through AIDA64 and my cpu package temp read out is 10 degrees lower than what MSI afterburner is telling me. Which program is more reliable?

I personally used IntelBurn Test for sake of stability since it hammers cpu really good, but it generates too much heat. Try with it but be ready to shut it down if it reaches low 70-s. AIDA simulates normal usage in best way far as I can tell for me it never gets above 38c in it while intelburn goes far as high 50-s. And use HWmonitor and/or Hwinfo for monitoring temperatures. Manual OC is way better then auto since it knows to screw up thing or two plus it leaves many things on auto. I changed only multiplier, vcore and LLC shut off all power saving features and thats it.

Back