• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have a quick question about doing a closed loop GPU cooler.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JordanF75

Im sure most of you guys know a custom water loop cost at least 700-800 bucks just for the pumps, radiators, fittings, and just for cool the cpu and gpu. I read on post on overclock.net and someone asked if they could put a full waterblock on their GPU and take an AIO CPU cooler, unplug the CPU block and plug it into the GPU block. I had the same thoguht in mind because the cpu and gpu are really the only thing that needs decent cooling. And from what i hear, the M.2/NVME drives get pretty hot as well such as the samsung 950 pro and 960 evo. My asus hero ix has a spot on the bottom of the board where you can print out a 3D fan holder to keep the temps down on that, Im pretty sure i saw a waterblock for the M2 drives from aquacomputer.

The answer is not quite that easy. It depends on how much heat the GPU puts out and how much heat the AIO cooler can dissipate. If you can answer those questions then you have answered your question. Note: Wattage or Watts is the unit of measure most often used.

800 bucks is for those that go big time, shop it around and also look at what jeff G linked but, be ready, it's like meth, once you start water cooling you just go over the top!!!!

What GPU are you planning? If you don't want to deal with custom you can always get something like the EVGA 1080 Hybrid.

Well, not everyone can afford that. Buy a 1060, the NZXT G10 bracket, and an H55 and you're still under the hybrid price.

Side question, if you use those VRM heatsinks, will they be fine getting cooled passively by case fans?

Well, not everyone can afford that. Buy a 1060, the NZXT G10 bracket, and an H55 and you're still under the hybrid price.

Watercooling on a 1060 is a waste, honestly. Not enough to cool there to be remotely worth it.
On the MSI model I reviewed it didn't even kick the fans on for 3DMark Fire Strike Extreme...

Back