• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ga-990fxa-ud3 and phenom ii x4 965 BE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Allirun

Registered
I know these are older components, but I got them for very cheap recently along with a msi r9 380, 16g of gskill rip jaw 1600mhz ram, and a corsair gs800 psu. I have an artic extreme cpu cooler, and had to underclock my cpu to 3.2 because of heat issues for some reason. Now my question is, what voltages are good to use with this combo? I'm having trouble with NB heat issues and cpu heat issues. My case is a raidmax smilodon, so the airflow is moderate. My cpu frequencies dance around a little bit and I'm worried something is wrong. Even underclocked at 3.2ghz it's around 48C idle.

Last edited:
You definitely have something going on there. I wouldn't worry about voltages untill you get the heat under control. Around 55c the PII start to get unstable and you're almost there at idle. So I would try taking the side panel off the case first see if that helps the temps. The arctic freezer not knowing which model isn't really important a Cm 212 will do better and they're $30. I would check the mounting of the cooler and the TIM spread just to see if it's making good contact.

That alone dropped my temp to 39C. Wow. Guess my airflow isn't that great. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i have had this CPU to 3.6 on my old mobo which was a biostar ta790gxe-128m @ 40C idle, so i know the cooler can handle it.

What's your voltage? Ive gone through a couple of these now that were burning up "out of the box". I found that I could drop the voltage quite a bit and remain stable at stock clocks. Also you may be able to raise your clocks up a bit without gaining too much heat on the CPU, because it already is using "too much" voltage

Hmmm... I am not certain if I am reading that right but CPU 0 has a max of 3416 listed (stock load) and min of 3414. Your temps only show as 50C and that is tolerable for full load (and your cpu does not appear to be running at anything except full load?). As I said though, I dont know if I am reading that correctly

You might be able to adjust the CPU voltage downward and drop your temps even lower, but my guess is that you will see the biggest improvements from more airflow.

That's just idle temps. I'll run it later after work and show you that one.

That shot you just posted,was that "after" removing the side panel? Or before since you mentioned such a large temp drop.

Untitled.png
Attached is with my side panel removed and 20 minutes of OCCT testing with the power supply function selected.

You are still getting way too hot. The PII shouldn't be run much over 60c and 55c is actually the best operating temp. Also 1.4v+ is too much IMO for the speed you are running unless you have a C2 post a shot of CPUz if you could

Pretty sure you can drop that voltage to ~ 1.3v and still be able to get 3.6 stable or close.

Stable @ 3.4 with Untitled.png . 33 idle, 44 max load with prime 95. OCCT hates this combo for some reason, so i switched to prime.

I don't have a PII 965, I have a PII 1090T with a GA-880GA-UD3H

PII_1090T.jpg

As you can see my CPU Vcore is about 1.26-1.28V, If you can, see if you can move any cables behind the MB or get a new case to improve air flow.

just for reference :
225FSB.PNG

Now keep in mind I am on step 1 of reaching for top clocks and this is with 225 BCLK and low multi. Ive got the voltage turned up because I was having trouble getting into Windows, but once I manually set the ram timings I got in, so perhaps I could turn that down. I happen to know that with stock FSB and raising the multi I can hit 3800mhz with a little more voltage than this and max temps hovering around 50C. Ive got fair to middling cooling also. A decent cooler and good airflow with proper cable management. My sig is a bit out of date today (will update soon) but the important parts are accurate. Just provided as a reference.

@op I know you said you checked the TIM, but a remount might not hurt and will atleast let you completely rule it out. If that isnt it then my feeling is that you are just starved for fresh air.

knoober you should be able to do something near 4.0 with the 955 be and the Megahalems.

knoober you should be able to do something near 4.0 with the 955 be and the Megahalems.
Well I am near there kind of. 3.8 is strong and stable. Ive got 3918 surviving for 12 hours in Prime95 small fft 55C max temps, hovers around 50C(which I am more than happy with) but OCCT dies in about 10min. Im reaching for 4+Ghz because there was such a noticeable difference between 3.8 and 3.9. I cant boot at any speed above 3.99 though and 3.99 dies almost as soon as I fire up Prime95

If you're at 50c at 3.9 you may have hit your limit. You may have to add a heaping of voltage to get to 4.0 and sometimes these chips will get wonky around 55c. IIRC I had mine at 4.1 with 1.42 v on a Asus M5A99x Evo with a Megahalems or thermalright true extreme "cannot remember" w/push pull fans, prime stable. Note that I have a really good 955 Be though. I also did 4.6 ish on Air, Sp32m benching "not stable"

Back