• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Confused about temperatures with my 7700K 5GHz 1.328V

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok, and now can you provide me some evidence that it clips the voltage frequency to the core temp sensors?

Because if that's the case, going to 1.4 wouldn't INCREASE temps from 1.3

ritchiedrama, read what you typed. It doesn't make sense. It would only make sense if you said, "going to 1.4 wouldn't DECREASE temps from 1.3." What you typed is like saying if you turn your house's thermostat up from 70 to 80 the living space will not get warmer. Your posts in this thread have been confusing to me from the get go.

Last edited:
Ok, and now can you provide me some evidence that it clips the voltage frequency to the core temp sensors?

Because if that's the case, going to 1.4 wouldn't INCREASE temps from 1.3

I think it would be hard to increase temperature with PLL (Phase-locked loop) since it clips the voltage to the processor. If you want to know if decreasing the PLL effects the core temperature, just do a stress test after reducing the PLL and if the rig is still stable you did not effect the core voltage or temperature. It takes a certain amount of voltage, temperature, load for operation of core transistors at a given clock speed.

ritchiedrama, read what you typed. It doesn't make sense. It would only make sense if you said, "going to 1.4 wouldn't DECREASE temps from 1.3." What you typed is like saying if you turn your house's thermostat up from 70 to 80 the living space will not get warmer. Your posts in this thread have been confusing to me from the get go.

They haven't been confusing it at all, it's this wingman99 guy going onto every forum I've posted on and posting, pure crap.

He has made previous posts such as "Does lowering your voltage damage your cpu" yet seems to think he can comment on something like this which is much more complex.

Just because you can't understand what I'm saying doesn't mean it makes no sense. I'll write it out for you clearer.

Default PLL OC Voltage - 1.3

Set this to 1.2 - Temps drop
Set this to 1.15 - temps drop further
set this to 1 - temps drop further

I then said, if he claims lowering these values is just falsifying readings because it clips voltage frequency to SENSORS, then increasing the PLL OC Voltage to 1.4 from 1.3 would NOT increase the temperatures - but it does.

Yet he has provided no evidence it clips the voltage to the sensors, he just writes crap, everywhere and anywhere - so when people want to actually try find something out, with backed up evidence, they can't.

There is many people with temperature issues, with the 7700K and there is more at play than we think. Of course the 7700K has TIM issues, but there is other things at play,whether it be the motherboards or the cpus.

He has been a member of these forums since 2003, yet can't even understand a thing.

Thanks for the clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

They haven't been confusing it at all, it's this wingman99 guy going onto every forum I've posted on and posting, pure crap.

He has made previous posts such as "Does lowering your voltage damage your cpu" yet seems to think he can comment on something like this which is much more complex.

Just because you can't understand what I'm saying doesn't mean it makes no sense. I'll write it out for you clearer.

I then said, if he claims lowering these values is just falsifying readings because it clips voltage frequency to SENSORS, then increasing the PLL OC Voltage to 1.4 from 1.3 would NOT increase the temperatures - but it does.

Yet he has provided no evidence it clips the voltage to the sensors, he just writes crap, everywhere and anywhere - so when people want to actually try find something out, with backed up evidence, they can't.

There is many people with temperature issues, with the 7700K and there is more at play than we think. Of course the 7700K has TIM issues, but there is other things at play,whether it be the motherboards or the cpus.

He has been a member of these forums since 2003, yet can't even understand a thing.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.

Look if you lower the PLL the real core temperature would NOT drop if the CPU is doing the same work at the same speed/clock. That is simple physics. PLL and Vcore are two different things.

I gave you the link on PLL (Phase-locked loop) read up and educate your self with a electrical understanding and stop trying to find help on the forums for CPU engineering. In the Intel forum I gave you the best link you will get there.

Many folks in different forums like me have told you that PLL change is misrepresenting core temperature. Time to educate your self, if you have any questions on the links I posted just ask.

Last edited:
I contacted elmor who works for ASUS and he has Master's in Microelectronics. Like I said the PLL (Phase-locked loop) skews the on-die temp sensor with reference or supply voltage to the ADC (Analog Digital Converter).:)

elmor
PLL Termination is known to skew the on-die temp sensors, that's what you're talking about I presume? Is there anything specific you'd like to know regarding the CPU PLL? Essentially it takes in the base clock and modulates it up to the core and uncore clocks.
elmor
Typically increasing the Core PLL voltage can help the PLL stability at high output frequencies (above 60x Core Ratio), it's not related to CPU Core Voltage. PLL Termination helps when increasing the BCLK or reaching higher frequency during LN2 scenarios. I don't have specifics on the internal layout of Intel's CPUs, but most likely PLL Termination is also used as reference or supply voltage to the ADC which is reading the on-chip thermal sensor.

I contacted elmor who works for ASUS and he has Master's in Microelectronics. Like I said the PLL (Phase-locked loop) skews the on-die temp sensor with reference or supply voltage to the ADC (Analog Digital Converter).:)

elmor

elmor

But but but, you dont have a clue what you were talking about, right? ;) Nice work wingman99

Two things:

1) PLL voltage != PLL OC voltage.

PLL OC voltage is MSI-only thing. They named it "PLL OC" (some people call it PLL bandwidth).
Anyway, it's something else than PLL voltage.

2) Pure logic.

Let's assume that MSI PLL OC voltage skews our sensors readings. Which PLL OC voltage IS valid then? Default 1.2V? Not really, because changing memory to let's say 3200Mhz speed changes the PLL OC auto value to 1.3V.
So, the outcome is that WE DON'T KNOW our CPU temperature at all (and it would be my last MSI purchase).

3) Sudden temperature change when changing PLL OC value in command center.

It's normal. Hwmonitor or realtemp don't poll the sensors in real time. As ritchiedrama said, stopping prime95 lowers the temp suddenly from 80 degrees to 40 in 1 second, without visible steps.

1. Ok.
2. See #1.
3. We aren't talking loads though, but voltage.

Feels like in one sentence you are saying it's not possible or wrong then #3 says it happens... I'm confused.

1. Ok.
2. See #1.
3. We aren't talking loads though, but voltage.

Feels like in one sentence you are saying it's not possible or wrong then #3 says it happens... I'm confused.

Someone said that it's weird that the temperature changes so suddenly (when changing PLL OC from 1.2 to 1.3 for example). I only said that it's completely normal (not the fact, that the temperatures changes at all, but only sudden of that change).

can we close this thread, my head hurts... now my wall has a hole in it...

Hey, ritchiedrada. I'm interested in your post of PLL OC Voltage because there is another motherboard has this similar parameter configuration, like ASRock Z270 SuperCarrier motherboard that I used before. The parameter is called VCC PLL Voltage. When it's lowered from 1.20v to 1.10v, temps drop immediately, sometimes so low so close to the ambient temp that I feel it's unrealistic because I was overclocking 64GB ram with CPU 7700K to 5.0GHz vcore 1.375v PLL 1.10v and the temp is lower than default 4.2GHz vcore 1.20v PLL 1.20v. Can I ask you a question: Is your system stable with lower VCC/OC PLL voltage during RealBench at 5.0GHz? My system wasn't stable with lower PLL OC voltage.

Back