• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Z170-6600K-GTX1060 OC. help checking status and advice.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeclaredSnow

Registered
2 screen. OC FORUM. all info cut.jpg

ok. first, my software photo skills are in need of a priest, like paint sucks, but i know how to save a SS on it. i did not know how to make SS from the bios, so i did it like this, ALL advice for better programs are very welcome. sorry in advance.

if you are still here, and not for taking turn, throwing shoes at me, i salute you.

This is the third version of a PC i started building back in the summer. and my first "decent PC" current specs are in my signature.

could you take a look at my cpu OC? did i do everything right? i started out with a 4.2 GHz OC. @ 1.250v then punched in 4.5 GHz at the same v. i have been running that OC for about 2 weeks now, zero problems. Highest temp i have seen was 65c. that was during cinebench. I have also done several hours in Valley, Heaven and most benchmarks from 3Dmark, including stability runs and API tests. I have also been playing games like ARK, Tomb Raider, For Honor, GTAV, BF1, TF1 and WOW. zero problems.

Now before i test it in a program like Prime95 etc, i would like someone that knows what the heck they are doing, atleast takes a look at my current CPU OC. feel free to give back advice on my GPU as well, but that doesn't worry me so much since its almost impossible to fry a GPU using software.

I hope the pic is readable :)

Thanks in advance!

Snow

I have the same CPU 4.5GHz and for Prime 95 I have a safety margin of 1.332 Vcore. You can run up to 90c and 1.44 Vcore.

i5 6600k 4.5GHz.jpg

You don't mention if you have done any temp monitoring while using demanding applications. Normally we stress test for stability using a dedicated stress tester like Prime95 or Realbench or OCCT and while we are stress testing we have hardware monitor open for monitoring temps. Even though your vcore seems low at 1.25 we don't know how much that is being supplemented by technologies behind the scene like LLC.

I would stress test with Prime95 for a couple hours and monitor core temps with Prime95 for a couple hours. If the temps get above 90c, quit Prime95 and switch over to Realbench for four hours.

Under normal load ( not stress testing ) the CPU sits around 50c. I have spikes to the 60c. The thing that I was wondering about if I have done the OC correctly, with the XMP Auto BCLK, MAX cache limit, ( and min). And the several different Voltage settings. like using manual instead of auto on the CORE/cache.

The rest of the voltage settings are still on auto, since I not fully understand what they do. ( and it was mentioned that its not needed, but instead of taking the word from one guy from YouTube for it. id ask here :)

Choose XMP for the correct memory frequency and timing.

The only other settings you need to take off auto are the core ratio and the CPU core voltage and maybe the LLC. LLC usually works best if you set it to the level just below the highest option, like 6 out of 7 or if the highest is Ultra choose one below it.

Start with a manual (or "Fixed") core voltage of 2.5 and add .01 increments as you overclock and stress test. Start the core ratio at about 4.5. Stress test and monitor temps. Idle temps don't count unless they are unusually high to start with which would indicate the cooler isn't making good contact with the CPU.

Back