• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrades for am3+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

So as you guys can see I do have fx 6300 right now. I was just wondering when prices drop which 8 core (only 8300 series) cpu you will find good as an upgrade with good OC potential with rest of the hardware I already have. That E in name confuses me the most I only notice lower TDP on them and lower base clocks but they are the last that came out far as I know. Are there any that are significantly better than current fx I have.

Prices are already likely as low as they'll go on FX processors for the foreseeable future.
Significantly better depends on what you use the system for.

I am more interested into gaming than anything else but will probably help friend with his UE4 project. Basically I don't rly need those extra cores for gaming.
Nah prices are here still same as before. I was thinking about this since I would need way much more money for Ryzen setup when r3 and r5 get out motherboard, cpu, ram
would probably go over 400$ plus prices here are absurd of some pc parts. Can you link any reliable site where I can see comparison all I find is mostly crap the best I found is "cpu user benchmark".

Edit: Is it correct that stock 6300 differs only 10% from stock 8370 in single core performance?

Last edited:
As far as an 8XXX CPU goes you can't beet the 8370. I won't go as far as saying your motherboard can't handle it but there is a big jump in power and heat that comes along with any FX8XXX chip. If you really want to upgrade keep that in mind as ATM has stated above allot is dependent on what your needs are and what you will use your computer for.

In the end if you buy an 8 core chip then find out you need better cooling to then find out you need to upgrade your motherboard to overclock or whatever your doing with your computer then the end cost will be very similar to going out and getting a new Ryzen build or a new Intel build. All I am saying is think this through before you buy.

If you're using it for gaming stick with the 6300k. The CM212 may not be able to handle the Fx 8xxx chip at the same Oc as the 6300, therefore you may lose performance.

Depends, the latest 8370 seem to get higher OC with lower voltage, mine is doing 4.5ghz 1.368v which my 212 EVO (2 fans) holds perfectly fine. It tops out at 4.6ghz 1.4v. So for work it would probably be nice if you get a good price on it... Not for gaming.

Depends, the latest 8370 seem to get higher OC with lower voltage, mine is doing 4.5ghz 1.368v which my 212 EVO (2 fans) holds perfectly fine. It tops out at 4.6ghz 1.4v. So for work it would probably be nice if you get a good price on it... Not for gaming.
Think we are talking silicone lottery here, plus some binning. The E series are cherry picked for lower power use, my guess is they are low leakage chips in general. I don't have any stats on it, or much to compare it to, but that's my thoughts on it. Mine was over 1.4V for 4.5ghz for reference.

Always the case, seen quite a few 8320 overclock better then the average 8350 :) but as said above for gaming it's not worth switching out if OP gets a decent OC on the 6300 unless he's going to another platform like Ryzen or Skylake/Kaby Lake.

As far as an 8XXX CPU goes you can't beet the 8370. I won't go as far as saying your motherboard can't handle it but there is a big jump in power and heat that comes along with any FX8XXX chip. If you really want to upgrade keep that in mind as ATM has stated above allot is dependent on what your needs are and what you will use your computer for.

In the end if you buy an 8 core chip then find out you need better cooling to then find out you need to upgrade your motherboard to overclock or whatever your doing with your computer then the end cost will be very similar to going out and getting a new Ryzen build or a new Intel build. All I am saying is think this through before you buy.

So wait if 125w TDP is the problem then I should get 8370e with 95w TDP? I know that it would probably cause problems if I tried to OC reguler 8370 many say that it heats up like mad even on stock. The more I think about it I lean more to Ryzen later on even if spending way more money. Those 8 core cpu-s always confused me like they are only for heavy multi core users... Oh well I think I will wait with both and see the pricing later on then decide

I still see no point in you upgrading for gaming...

So difference will be minor if any even OC-ed? Many say its same chip with 2 extra cores if thats true then there is no point... Tnx on info you all

So difference will be minor if any even OC-ed? Many say its same chip with 2 extra cores if thats true then there is no point... Tnx on info you all
If anything your best bet would be to take the $$ you were going to put into a new CPU and get better cooling. Then you can at least get a speed increse which would help a lot more than 2 more cores

Then most likely will be getting r5 or r3 mobo and ram the rest will remain. Have to build another machine for GF anyway

Back