• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build not booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

catastrophin

There seems to be power as my cpu fan is working. When I switch on the power there is a single beep, after which the fan accelerates and then there comes 1 long beep followed by 4 short beeps. Nothing on the screen.

I have removed the graphics card and the SATA drive, and left only 1 RAM on (also tried different sockets). So it looks like it's either the motherboard or the cpu.

Asus Prime Z270-P Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-7500 3.40GHz (Kaby Lake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

( I've taken the cpu out to have a look and didn't find any bent pins etc.)

As a first time builder I'm quite nervous about it. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
What does the manual say about the beeps?
Does your board have a debug display?

Couldn't find any info on the manual regarding beeps apart from 'the system warning speaker allows you to hear beeps' - tried searching in an electronic copy too.
No display on the card as far as I can see.

Have you verified all power connections are secure?
Is the RAM installed in the proper DIMM as instructed by the manual? Have you reseated it to verify it is fully inserted?

yeah i dont think those lights are a problem They just seem like accent lighting on the switches. theres no video with the gpu installed?

looking at the two pics posted, why do I not see any sata cables plugged in?
have you connected your drive via magic?

I had a sabertooth mobo that had similar symptoms, fans and lights would turn on, it was fried. I also had a couple dying PSU's with the same symptoms.

From my experience, although limited, when the cpu is dead it has a different behavior.

Remove the CPU and check for bent socket pins by shining a light on it at different angles.

Well, thanks for all your replies, but it turned out to be a stupid thing - the problem was the cable that connects the PC to the monitor. Now it boots ok.

That beep code was a cpu fan error, as it was connected to chasis fan socket.

Well, thanks for all your replies, but it turned out to be a stupid thing - the problem was the cable that connects the PC to the monitor. Now it boots ok.

No one noticed including me xD

Thanks for following back up and letting us know!

Back