• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time overclocking, FX4100 help please <3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catzen

Registered
Hi everyone :)

It was just yesterday I started looking in to overclocking for the first time after buying a new GPU (AMD RX 470) and realising how easy it was to increase the frequency of it, so I started looking in to CPU overclocking and found this forum

At the moment I have an AMD FX4100 (3.6Ghz default (200 x 18)) and read some guides about overclocking it
After a few hours of Prime95 tests, playing with the multiplier and adjusting voltages (I read the max for Bulldozer is 1.5V), I now have my CPU at 4.5Ghz (200 x 22.5) with 1.4V with temps below 35 on an hour test

But can't seem to push it any higher than this
Increasing the voltage to 1.425 or higher DECREASES the frequency my CPU is running at for some reason

I have the following things disabled in my Motherboard (ASUS M5A97 EVO) settings following a couple of guides I found:
Turbocore
CPU Spread Spectrum
PCIe Spread Spectrum
EPU Power Saving
CoolNQuiet
C1E
SVM
Core C6 State
APM Master Mode

And I have CPU Core Activation enabled

Hope this provides the info you guys need!!
<3

Turn off core activation - I assume it's a core unlocker feature, which your chip has no cores to be unlocked.
The throttling may be a result of the VRM heating up to critical levels. I'd try to hit it with more airflow and see where you end up.

35 deg seams really low @ load ... what software are you using to load and read the temps ?

Thanks!
I'll give that a go now and get back to you

Using HWMonitor and Core Temp to monitor :)
Capture.JPG

Turn off core activation - I assume it's a core unlocker feature, which your chip has no cores to be unlocked.
The throttling may be a result of the VRM heating up to critical levels. I'd try to hit it with more airflow and see where you end up.

Okay so I turned off Core Activation like you said :)
However it's made no difference in being able to increase the voltage past 1.425V though

Board limit.
You need to add vcore but the board throttles when you do. There is no fix for that other than a better board.

How many fans do you have in your case?
Didn't have more than 1 on cpu and 1 on case as my temps are still quite low

- - - Updated - - -

Board limit.
You need to add vcore but the board throttles when you do. There is no fix for that other than a better board.

Ah I see. No plan on upgrading until Ryzen is cheaper as well as boards and memory :/
Still, I'm decently happy with a 900mhz increase on my CPU

Thanks!!

Board limit.

It's 6+2 with passive cooler (if it's the one OP has on sig), seems a very low voltage/OC for VRM throttling with that chip ? i'll second more fans over VRM, but a better board might be overkill ?

It's 6+2 with passive cooler (if it's the one OP has on sig), seems a very low voltage/OC for VRM throttling with that chip ? i'll second more fans over VRM, but a better board might be overkill ?
Thanks for the info
I am a bit of a noob here, why will adding more fans help when my temps are low?

I'm with Kenrou on this. I had the cheaper version of his board for a while (only 4+2) and it drove a 4100 to 4.5ghz without throttling. Want to say in the realm of 1.45V vcore on it too but it was a while ago.

Sorry brain getting older and didn't catch this earlier, why turn off Core Activation ? it should always stay on Auto (untouched) unless you actually have a locked CPU (which OP doesn't), didn't that used to screw up temp readings ?

wouldnt vrm cooling help a bit with that? or is that the limit of the vrms?

VRM's drive the power to your CPU/Memory, the more you overclock, the more power you use, the higher the temps go. Example of extra VRM cooling :

2mgmkc9.jpg IMG_0129_zps6e44708c.jpg

I am a bit of a noob here, why will adding more fans help when my temps are low?

You haven't told us how many fans you have in your case, and if it really is the VRM's overheating it's due to lack of airflow (fresh air coming in and out of the case), more fans or running them at a higher speed will help :thup:

Sorry brain getting older and didn't catch this earlier, why turn off Core Activation ? it should always stay on Auto (untouched) unless you actually have a locked CPU (which OP doesn't), didn't that used to screw up temp readings ?

VRM's drive the power to your CPU/Memory, the more you overclock, the more power you use, the higher the temps go. Example of extra VRM cooling :

View attachment 188991 View attachment 188992

You haven't told us how many fans you have in your case, and if it really is the VRM's overheating it's due to lack of airflow (fresh air coming in and out of the case), more fans or running them at a higher speed will help :thup:

He said he has one on his cpu and one on his case.

For example, i have 11 fans on my computer, so case flow is not a problem. I would configure my case to have a total of 2 intake and 2 exhaust. Maybe add another fan on the cpu for a push pull. but i like to go all out.

Thanks for all that info guys!! I've learned a lot more now
Pictures were a great reference
I have some spare fans, but they're 1,600KM up the road lmao, I'll have my parents send them to me
<3

He said he has one on his cpu and one on his case.

I would configure my case to have a total of 2 intake and 2 exhaust. Maybe add another fan on the cpu for a push pull.

See what I mean ? Brain getting old, didn't see it. As you said 2 in 2 out if possible is a good way to start for good airflow :)

That Akasa fan appears to be facing the wrong way.

LMAO these pics have been re-posted several times and you're the 1st to pick up on it :rofl:

Last edited:
Back