• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help with 7Zip association

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
I came home from work today and my 13 yr old downloaded a program on his Pc and somehow associated all of his programs with 7Zip. Now every time a program is clicked on it opens 7zip, even after the file is extracted it cannot be opened. I tried uninstalling 7Zip and now all that happens when a program is opened is it asks what program do you want to open this up with. I'm at a loss on how to fix this. I'll also add that system restore is not an option. Thanks in advance.

Can you right click and choose "open with..." there is a little checkbox on the dialog that asks whether to always use that choice or not

Can you right click and choose "open with..." there is a little checkbox on the dialog that asks whether to always use that choice or not
Nope it doesn't even give me the option. I racked my brain last night trying to figure out WTH he did. I don't believe it's a virus but for whatever reason after downloading, GIMP which is an image manipulating program, every program and desktop Icon opens up in 7Zip. I tried extracting one of them and then opening it and it re opens in 7Zip. I then deleted 7Zip and now it asks me what program it wants me to use to open it. I can't even open an internet explorer or firefox browser window. I may just wipe the whole thing and re install Windows because he really doesn't have anything on the Pc that cannot be recovered. I'm more curious on why it's doing this and how to fix it if I ever had to.

Have you checked the "Default application" selection. If not search Default applications under the start menu and see if the file associations got changed. There is also an option in there to check each file type for program association.

Yup went in there to see if 7Zip was associated in any way (before I deleted it) on any of the programs and it wasn't. Even something like Cpu-Z will not open now

Im curious to hear the answer here also. I would probably just do as you already stated and reinstall, but perhaps a restore point or the event log can give you some insight into what actually happened

Restore point isn't an option because two days prior I added a secondary 2Tb storage drive to the pc because his storage drive was full. When I installed it I deleted the windows backup file because it was taking up so much space and was going to back up the Pc yesterday when I got home. I was going to just do a clean install last night but I have told him numerous times to not blindly download and install stuff without knowing exactly what he is doing and or to ask me if he doesn't. So I'm letting him suffer a bit not having a working Pc until tonight or tomorrow. Evil dad :D Though he isn't going to suffer much, he still has his Ps4, Xbox, Wii, Laptop and Ipad. Spoiled little turd!

Restore points arent only in the Windows backup files. I thought Restore Points were on the C: drive. https://superuser.com/questions/210...estore-points-stored-and-how-to-preserve-them

Even if they are there I am not sure you will be able to run a system restore with the problem that you are having. Anything in the event logs? Win + r then eventvwr IIRC. I dont knkw specifically what you would look for but something that causes such an issue would hopefully stand out in the critical category

I'll look when I get home and see if they are there. I clicked on system restore but it said the're no files. Note that when I installed the 2tb drive I set the backup to Drive E. It was previously Drive D so that may be why it couldn't find them.

Thanks knoober and Lochekey I'll keep you updated to see if that works. I'm still going to wipe it even if it does. I was planning on putting a SSD in the setup and give him a 2600k I have lying around. He's sporting a 2500k Asrock Z77 Ext 4 @ 4.5 ghz now and I figure with the amount of rendering of videos he is doing the 2600k may be better for him.

Nope it doesn't even give me the option. I racked my brain last night trying to figure out WTH he did. I don't believe it's a virus but for whatever reason after downloading, GIMP which is an image manipulating program, every program and desktop Icon opens up in 7Zip. I tried extracting one of them and then opening it and it re opens in 7Zip. I then deleted 7Zip and now it asks me what program it wants me to use to open it. I can't even open an internet explorer or firefox browser window. I may just wipe the whole thing and re install Windows because he really doesn't have anything on the Pc that cannot be recovered. I'm more curious on why it's doing this and how to fix it if I ever had to.

Sounds like all programs were added to the 7zip archive. Now that you deleted 7zip, there is no archive or file association.
Easiest fix is new OS install.

Sounds like all programs were added to the 7zip archive. Now that you deleted 7zip, there is no archive or file association.
Easiest fix is new OS install.
Sounds about right Scotty. Now the question is how the heck he managed to add all the programs to 7Zip archive?!

Well hopefully he has learned his lesson and will not be doing it again...Fingers crossed. :D

Back