• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

State of AMD GPUs on linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bluefalcon13

Hey everyone,

Got my Ryzen stuff on order, and for this upgrade I figured I'd go full team Red. Got an RX480 8gb XFX w/hot swap fans (factory OC is 1288, not the 1300 one). But my question has little to do with overclocking and/or performance!

Anyone run Linux and an RX480? What kinda PITA did I set myself up for? Normally run Debian testing, or if running proprietary drivers, Ubuntu or a derivative of it.

I cant speak to the 480 in Linux but I do know that Wine just got an overhaul to version 2.0 (there is a link in my thread about Win10 alternatives in AltOS Section. Id dig it up to post here but... Mobile phones ya know? :))

Historically, ATI/AMD has not cooperated very well with the open source/Linux community and so ATI/AMD video card drivers for Liunx have been reverse engineered and not nearly as good as those for Nvidia. I don't know if that has changed or not in recent years.

Back