• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Save As--Changing File Name in Win10?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

Whenever I save a file from the net it goes to a folder, and the file has some ridiculous file name.

Whatever happened to Save As dialog box/file name field when saving docs from the net to your drive?

I'm tired of always going back into the folder and changing file name after file is saved.

Anyway to fix this?? So I can enter file name before the file is downloaded like the good ole days???

Looked on the net and only saw hits regarding changing file save location, not interested.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Browser settings? I know Firefox has a toggle over to "always ask where to save files...." or something. I dont know where it is in any other browser.

Maybe Im not understanding what you mean though?

Browser settings? I know Firefox has a toggle over to "always ask where to save files...." or something. I dont know where it is in any other browser.

Maybe Im not understanding what you mean though?

I'll check, been so long since I made any settings changes in FF, that perhaps it's something I forget I had to set....

I still have it...

what browser are you using??

Latest FF.

Right now, if I'm in FF, and download, a windows box pops up and only 2 choices are save or open. There used to be a field to change the name BEFORE it actually downloaded and saved the file. By used to, I mean on my Win7 and XP Pro rigs.

Firefox > Tools > Options > General > [under Downloads] Save Files to:

Sorry, not what I'm talking about. I know how to change file location, but not file name as described in #5. Thanks anyway.
Oh I see :) Just check the box to "ask every time" or whatever it says. Then you will be asked for a location on each download AND given the opportunity to change the filename. Good luck

Back