• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Blu-Ray disc not readable on desktop (LG CH12NS30 reader)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrjayviper

Registered
So I have a Game of Thrones Blu-ray video disc here which I want to watch on my desktop but it the desktop won't read it. I've tried both Windows and OSX and both won't recognize it. I also updated the LG Blu-ray reader to latest firmware (dated 2014) and still no go.

As a test, I've tried other Blu-ray video discs and no problems with those. Also as a test, I put the Game of Thrones disc on a friend's PS3 and no problems playing the disc.

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks!

So I have a Game of Thrones Blu-ray video disc here which I want to watch on my desktop but it the desktop won't read it. I've tried both Windows and OSX and both won't recognize it. I also updated the LG Blu-ray reader to latest firmware (dated 2014) and still no go.

As a test, I've tried other Blu-ray video discs and no problems with those. Also as a test, I put the Game of Thrones disc on a friend's PS3 and no problems playing the disc.

Any ideas what could be wrong and how to fix it?

Thanks!

DRM could be what is wrong with it; it only punishes the paying customer. You need the latest firmware (with the latest decryption keys) on the drive, which you've already done, but if the manufacturer stops releasing firmware updates and new movies are released using keys that aren't in your firmware, you're stuck having to buy a whole new drive. You also need the latest HDCP support on your GPU and monitor, which is rarely upgradable without purchasing entirely new hardware and sometimes only works on one port on the GPU. You might try CyberLink's BD Advisor to check on those.

what software are you using to play the disc? as in the included MS for video and music is not something you can use, it doesnt have the right, what ever you might want to call it. only way to play back true BD discs like bought from the store is to use something like im using which is PowerDVD.
https://www.cyberlink.com/products/...es_en_US.html?affid=2581_1229_728_39844_0_ENU

i bought the software along time ago when i started wanting to watch blurays on my pc's cause i though the off the shelf BD players were horrible. i think i started on powerdvd 10, then i paid to upgrade to 12, then paid to upgrade to 16, i skip releases. only reason i went to pay for those is because at some point they stopped making updates to update the BD keys in the software to read the discs. i know their was a recent change to some of the BD discs that blueray drives in pc's and even standlone players needed an update. they changed something with the way the encryption key is handled or some such. the samsung pc bluray drive i got, i like alot, but sticker says its made by TSS corp. It has no firmware upgrade for this change but the LG drive i got from the classies here which is older, going off modle number does have a FW update for this change.

i know a bit ranty in there, but it comes down to software your using to read store bought blurays. i didnt know OSX might have one, since its based off *nix and parts of it are opensource. i know there is no one willing to allow BD software for any *nix out there. i get that it might be encoded in MP4 or X246 on the disc from the store that other software can handle but it does come down to this tricky encryption key process the disc/software have to handshake on.

i know there is no one willing to allow BD software for any *nix out there. i get that it might be encoded in MP4 or X246 on the disc from the store that other software can handle but it does come down to this tricky encryption key process the disc/software have to handshake on.

VLC will play most BD just fine on Linux given appropriate libraries installed, but those libraries (libaacs, libbluray, libbdplus) tend to be in non-default repositories to avoid any possible legal issues.

You may need to buy a commercial DVD player like Power DVD to play titles with the latest encryption methods.

seems I spoke to soon.

I tried several Blu-Ray discs and none of them is recognized. I downloaded a trial copy of DVDFab and also used VLC to test.

I also tried several DVDs and they can be read fine.

Summary:

Blu-Ray drive cannot read Blu-Ray discs but can read DVDs.

Perhaps the drive needs replacing?

BD/DVD burners have two lasers in them.....the BD laser is much more sensitive and therefor more apt to fail......

Have you tried a lens cleaning disc in the drive, that can sometimes clean help but most likely your Drive is defective...

Try cyberlink's powerdvd. I was under the assumption that it is a software decoding issue but have never touched a blueray disc. (q.v. my permanent warning for disc decryption software)

Last edited:
Back