• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sapphire Nitro+ RX470 overclock help <3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Catzen

Registered
Hey everyone :)

I bought a Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX470 a few days ago, upgrading from a Sapphire Radeon 1GB HD7770, quite an upgrade which I am very happy with so far

I found the WattMan tool and started playing around

So far my settings are:
1400Mhz (up from 1260 out the box)
1750Mhz memory (I read I can't increase this?)
Temperature Max set to 78 and Target 75 (I think 93 is the max so I reduced it to what I thought it safe but I really have no idea lol)
Power Limit 50% increase

Haven't adjusted any voltages

Is this good? And would changing voltages help in any way?

Thanks in advance! <3

It is excellent if its stable. Have you tested that yet? My 480 won't give more than 1400mhz without crashing, so I think you might be in that ballpark with a 470. As for the memory, I can change mine and I am fairly sure yours can be changed also. The caveat is that I can change the memory *much* 2050mhz so far from a base frequency of 2000mhz. With that said, since your core clocks to 1400 I would not be surprised if your memory can make it to 2000. Raise in small increments though. Post back with your results and good luck! :)

It is excellent if its stable. Have you tested that yet? My 480 won't give more than 1400mhz without crashing, so I think you might be in that ballpark with a 470. As for the memory, I can change mine and I am fairly sure yours can be changed also. The caveat is that I can change the memory *much* 2050mhz so far from a base frequency of 2000mhz. With that said, since your core clocks to 1400 I would not be surprised if your memory can make it to 2000. Raise in small increments though. Post back with your results and good luck! :)
Edit: yeah you will probably have to raise voltages to get anymore out of your card (if it has any extra mhz to give that is)

As for the memory, I can change mine and I am fairly sure yours can be changed also.
A quick google search revealed that the timings increase if you push further and therefore you get less performance out of a higher clock. Would have to dive deeper into it to say more, but I think that's what he meant.

93 °C max temp per default seems high to me, mine was 90 iirc. I have it at 85 now. I think that would be fine for you, it's not very realistic that you would see that temp with a target of 75 (same as I have). With a target of 75 you may see temperatures slightly above 75 and therefore possible run into throttling issues when you have the max temp so little over the goal. Also with that setup raising voltage will probably result in lower performance as you will very likely see throttling.

You can try and see what you can achieve with higher voltages, find out where you get diminishing returns and step back a little. 10 Mhz are not worth the +25mV for example for 24/7 use imo.

I think my card just has no headroom on the memory. Without max voltage (yes max voltage : the most allowed) I cannot do any boost in the memory. Bumping down even 5 mv from max and the memory crashes. The core requires a little extra voltage to get to 1400mhz but nothing terrible (about 25mv). 75-76C is pretty normal for my card, and personally if it went over 80C I would start downclocking (but thats just me being nervous, I know max temps are higher)

A quick google search revealed that the timings increase if you push further and therefore you get less performance out of a higher clock. Would have to dive deeper into it to say more, but I think that's what he meant.

93 °C max temp per default seems high to me, mine was 90 iirc. I have it at 85 now. I think that would be fine for you, it's not very realistic that you would see that temp with a target of 75 (same as I have). With a target of 75 you may see temperatures slightly above 75 and therefore possible run into throttling issues when you have the max temp so little over the goal. Also with that setup raising voltage will probably result in lower performance as you will very likely see throttling.

You can try and see what you can achieve with higher voltages, find out where you get diminishing returns and step back a little. 10 Mhz are not worth the +25mV for example for 24/7 use imo.

Thanks a lot for that info, I'll look further now in to the timings increase if I pushed the memory up (probably won't though tbh)

Makes sense re throttling issue! I'll adjust those number a little so that the max isn't so close to the target

+25mV for 10Mhz isn't worth it for me at this stage
Upgrading from a HD7770 with no overclocking done, my new RX470 is epic xD

- - - Updated - - -

I've done a couple of tests but no long ones. Using Heaven and Cinebench for benchmarking at the moment and it seems to be stable!
Got to 1410Mhz but 1420Mhz crapped out and didn't feel comfortable with 1410 for long term use >.<

Thanks for getting back to me!

Sweet! AMD hit one out of the park with the RX 470. With that OC you're bumping RX 480 performance for a lot less money. Good job. :thup:

Sweet! AMD hit one out of the park with the RX 470. With that OC you're bumping RX 480 performance for a lot less money. Good job. :thup:
Yup. Makes me kind of jealous! 1410 is out of reach AND I paid more :facepalm: :D

Out of curiosity what is the ASIC rating for that card? Maybe its just a golden card.

Yup. Makes me kind of jealous! 1410 is out of reach AND I paid more :facepalm: :D

Out of curiosity what is the ASIC rating for that card? Maybe its just a golden card.

Is this what you were asking for? Heh
Capture.JPG

Thanks for the positive reinforcement guys!
<3

Yeah that's what I was talking about. I guess that settles the question of ASIC determining how high a card can OC. You've got less than 1% on my card. Like was already said: that's a great card with a great OC!

Back