• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Folding build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
"Premium 3-Way PCIe x16 Multi-Graphics Support

Optimized support for 3-Way NVIDIA SLI™ or 3-Way AMD CrossFire™ On 28 lanes Processor

PCIe 3.0 bandwidth is dependent on CPU. Graphics cards are not included. "

The web page also has neat graphics showing x16/x16/x16

"1.3 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1~3)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_1 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16_1 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
* The U2_32G_2 connector shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_2 slot. When the U2_32G_2 connector is populated, the PCIEX16_2 slot operates at up to x8 mode.
* The M2_32G connector shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16_3 slot. When the M2_32G connector is populated, the PCIEX16_3 slot operates at up to x8 mode. "

If you don't use any other slots than 1 - 3 nor the M2 slot, the first three slots all work at x16.

so it's slot #1 through slot #3
it's clearer to me reading the manual, so no m2 or u2 drives and it's 3 cards at x16.
I smell the smell of a brace of 1080TI's coming his way.

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand the benefit of 3x 16x slots (48 lanes total) if they are going into a CPU with only 28. Seems like the CPU wouldn't be able to push all lanes full throttle. But maybe it's not an issue unless you're benchmarking. I'll be interested in like a 1 card vs. 2 card vs 3 card setup and see if the ppd drop as an average.

Hey :) all I know is it will run 3 GPU's at x16.

Found this generic block diagram of a x99 MB, it's not of my MB but shows some of what is going on.
x99-chipset-block-diagram.jpg

i THINK IT'S GOING TO RUN X16/X8/X8.
WELL WAIT AND SEE.

here's mine with two 970's, I think you needed a 6850K

PCIE.PNG

with a 28 lane cpu, I'm right.

PCIE.PNG

Last edited:
yes it will with a 28 lane cpu, it does have a plx chip so it will run x16/x16/x16 with the 6800K

Dude - I can't even imagine your electric bill!

For me to fold on 3 GPUs 24/7 (2 Titan X P, 1 1080 FTW), I run about $25 a week...just for the computer draw...not including the heat load it puts on my AC (live in Florida after all).

For me to fold on 3 GPUs 24/7 (2 Titan X P, 1 1080 FTW), I run about $25 a week...just for the computer draw...not including the heat load it puts on my AC (live in Florida after all).

I can't speak for Whitehawk (we're neck and neck for PPD), but for me, across 7 GPU, my electricity bill last month ran at about an $80 premium. I'm expecting it to be around $130 this month. There is still a pretty big net profit when folding for CURE/FLDC though. I make enough to pay for my electricity bill in about a week.

GTX 1080 SC on it's way :thup::comp:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, when I get the x99 up and running, the 4P will never be used for folding again, 650 watts for the 4P vs 180 watts for GTX 1080 SC + the 170+ watts for the PC, you tell me :)

GTX 1080 SC on it's way :thup::comp:

- - - Updated - - -

Well, when I get the x99 up and running, the 4P will never be used for folding again, 650 watts for the 4P vs 180 watts for GTX 1080 SC + the 170+ watts for the PC, you tell me :)

I'm assuming you run all of your GPUs out of your house!

I think he is going to be limited to 2 GPUs, or have GPUs folding at less that their expected output based on my experience.

Update: Based on my experience with a PLX chip board, as long as he can keep them cool enough, he can probably get in the ballpark of 3M PPD out of that board if he uses 1080 Ti cards on it. Even if he is running 16x 8x 8x

Got the PSU Thursday so will be putting it all together some time this week.

Ok, here is what I have

CPU: i7 6800K 3.4 GHZ
MB: GIGABYTE GA-X99-Designare EX
Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB)
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V6GT
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC
case: CoolerMaster HAF 932
HDD: WD 320GB Blue (will add 2nd drive later)
DVD: spare drive sitting around

I thinks that's about it :)

Last edited:
Back