• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with activation of a M.2 on a asus Z170 pro gaming.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeclaredSnow

Registered
Hey so my samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO m.2 finally arrived. Plugget it inn on my motherboard, the ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING. , now it wont find the ssd. Ive red that sata 1, witch ia my boot ssd gets disabled while using the m.2 slot. So I asume I have to move that to the sata 2. Keeping 1 free.

Ive looked a bit into my bios, and their are several sata/ m.2 options, Manuel, auto etc, and I will need to copy my os ssd to the m.2, somehow. Anyone that has done this before?

Any help apriviated.

Last edited:
Ok. So i fixed it. Posting this in case anyone else ever wonders. Had to disconect sata 1 so that port was free. Then i rearanged the disks so that it booted from the right hd.

Then. Formated the m.2 and gave it a drive number in Windows. Then i downloaded the drivers, programs and cloning tool from samsung. The cloning was easy and self explaining with the program.

Then, a reboot, selected the m.2 as boot drive, and done.

right for M.2 to work in some cases you need to make sure the sata port isnt being used at the same time. since it grabs lanes that would be used for that sata port. i was at work when you posted your question i could have told you sooner lol :beer:

Oh well, i got a good chance to get more familiar with my mobo. More work then expected tough, had to take out my GPU Since that was blocking the sata 2. But always fun being challenged, and getting it to work. For z270 boards, most atx have now 2 x m.2 slots, you need to keep other satas free aswell, or depends on the board?

Back