• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd issues with laptop data transfer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demien88

So I bought laptop for gf and it is decent enough for her needs, it works fine more or less besides slow boot-up and some odd issues with data transfers
to usb stick. Said laptop is ASUS X540SC-XX026D runing win 10 I changed all power options and win options in order to let it work at least bit faster and to stop
pesky win10 data mining. Data transfers become painfully slow or they would just stop then continue on its own after some time, that wasn't issue when we bought it, yes it was slow but would still transfer files without issues. Sticks are fine since it transfers just fine on my desktop 3.0 stick 75-80 mb/s, 2.0 stick up to 17-20mb/s. But on her laptop speeds are allover the place, ports are blue meaning they suppose to be 3.0 but clearly something is way wrong with them or with the hard drive in laptop or motherboard. Can you give me any tips where to look or how I can solve this?

Check the health of the hard drive with Crystaldiskinfo. It reads the SMART drive data. If CDI indicates issues by one of the report lines being yellow instead of blue, replace the hard drive and reinstall Windows if laptop is not under warranty. To reinstall Windows, see next paragraph.

If CDI doesn't turn up any problems, I would do a fresh, destructive install of Windows. Destructive, meaning wiping the existing partitions during the installation and allowing Windows 10 to create new ones. This will also have the benefit of eliminating all the factory bloatware and any rootkit viruses that might be hiding. Since it already has Windows 10 on it, you don't have to pay to reinstall it. Don't use the factory restore partition or you will get the bloatware again. Get Windows 10 from Microsoft's website and create a usb or DVD install media: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10. During the installation process make sure you choose the same version of Windows that is currently on the laptop or it won't activate (e.g. Home or Pro). Don't enter the product key when prompted during installation. It will automatically activate after the installation is complete. What you describe sounds like there could be some serious malware problems.

Of course, it goes without saying that you should back up any personal data first before doing a reinstall of Windows.

Last edited:
Tnx but I know how viruses work and OS, I am 100% positive there are no viruses of any kind on it. I will try to check hdd with Crystaldiskinfo to eliminate possible issue

Nonetheless, I would do a boot time scan for viruses with a product like Avast free. You've got nothing to lose.

I would also scan for broken system files with sfc /scannow with command prompt administrator privileges in Windows.

Sorry that it took me so long to get this ss. Is this bad could this be causing issues on it?
Untitled.png

Reallocated sectors count exceeded is bad news. It means the disk has run out of backup healthy sectors on the platter to move data from sectors that are failing. So what happens is you wind up with an increasing number of damaged files over time. System becomes slow, quirky and unstable. Back up the data an replace the disk while you can still back up the data.

Back