• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What board to get for ryzen?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ikpthegame

What's gonna be a better board to get, the asus prime x370-pro or the asrock fatal1ty x370 gaming k4? The asrock goes better with my color scheme but I've never used one. I've always been a asus user. But I have heard of there bios bricking the boards. So what should I get, going to microcenter tomorrow.

If the Asrock goes with your system "color wise" just get that. They make quality motherboards and you shouldn't have much issue with it, outside of the normal growing pains that these Ryzen processors will have / are having.

Thanks for the input, I think I'll grab one of them if it's still in stock tomorrow

I bought the Prime X370-Pro, but it doesn't get here till Wednesday. To compliment it, I also picked this up:

Phanteks PH-LEDKT_COMBO: RGB LED Strip Combo Set - Retail Cases https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUFMIZ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_j6yXybT7ES46K

It happens that the Prime fits my case color, but does it really matter when I can make the white shine in any color I want? I'm really looking forward to Wednesday. All my stuff comes in he same day :)

If it was me I would wait @ least another month to two before I would get a x370 with the problems we have seen . I would want a few more bios rev's maybe even a board rev . But that is just me even if you wait till the R5s drop in a month the bios and maybe MBs will be in a better place . That you can read/watch in a review before spending the $ and Hoping they fix the problems they have been having . I also don't like buying new tech right away I like others to test and then I spend my $ .

On what to pick , I havn't had a AMD for a while (socket 939) but getting the best MB possible always bosted my overclocks with them . In my "Dream build for the day" has the c6 . But I dont think we have seen enough Data points to know what the best MB is going to be this gen .

On a side note I miss my DFI landParty with pencil mod to enable SLI =)

Last edited:
Honestly now that I have a good BIOS the CHVI is a great board with all the options you need to OC one of these CPUs. Memory OC is there with the right sticks, BCLK adjustments and a few other added goodies.

Honestly now that I have a good BIOS the CHVI is a great board with all the options you need to OC one of these CPUs. Memory OC is there with the right sticks, BCLK adjustments and a few other added goodies.

Except that Ryzens really don't OC much anyway. Spending an extra $150 on a $250 X370 over a budget sub $100 B350 in the hope of wringing our a lousy additional 100 MHz from one of these Ryzens just isn't worth it.

it's because barely anyone is using it :p

That is what you think. Don't live in a small world here in the forum. ASUS and Gigabyte are the top two motherboard sellers in the world.

Gigabyte is a motherboard vendor, with shipments of 4.8 million motherboards in Q1 2015, while ASUS shipped around 4.5 million motherboards in the same quarter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigabyte_Technology

Don't live in wikipedia ... there was a shortage of AM4 boards of all brands, Gigabyte X370 was not available in most stores till last week so barely anyone could buy it ... so all could buy B350 since first days, the same for MSI and in most cases also ASUS.
Most enthusiasts went for ASUS CHVI and look how forums are flooded with complains. I'm not saying that Gigabyte X370 is bad as I had no chance to test it but premiere was 2 weeks ago so it's hard to say anything in global scale except that ASUS CHVI had that repetable issue.

Don't live in wikipedia ... there was a shortage of AM4 boards of all brands, Gigabyte X370 was not available in most stores till last week so barely anyone could buy it ... so all could buy B350 since first days, the same for MSI and in most cases also ASUS.
Most enthusiasts went for ASUS CHVI and look how forums are flooded with complains. I'm not saying that Gigabyte X370 is bad as I had no chance to test it but premiere was 2 weeks ago so it's hard to say anything in global scale except that ASUS CHVI had that repetable issue.

90% of the people come to the forums to complain, just so happens Asus has all the problems with Bricking. There were Gigabyte X370 being used at 3/9/2017 I don't see any complaints searching google with English sites.

We have 5 regulars in this forum that purchased AM4, with that kind of use of statistics I can see why you don't like wikipedia.

Back