• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would justify an M.2 NVMe drive?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Good thread. My bios and one empty pci-e slot supports nvme. Bought the 840 evo msata (850 was not out) replacing the wifi/bt module. Still not sure what to do with the slot though. Thinking maybe a radio card (just grabbed an airspymini w/spyvertor but don't have a clue). I should at least update my msata and leave the slot for something better.

The other deciding factor for me, is that the Intel 600p is pretty much the same Price / GB as the 850 EVO. Since I already had a 2.5" SSD, it seemed like the right move for me, at the time. I'm still happy with it so far. The Samsung 960 EVO/PRO has a pretty hefty price premium for m.2, but the Intel 600p is a great value, from my POV.

You'll also likely want Windows 10 to avoid all the extra hassle of installing Windows 7 on an m.2 drive.

I can only speak for the samsungs, the samsung software has done the migrations for me with no issues at all.
it's been a rare pleasure to have migration software just work without me having to do anymore than disconnect the storage drives and click the mouse once or twice.

M.2 sata are ssds man. ;)
Hahaha... yes, I know that. Just trying to differentiate between the usual SATA SSD and the M.2 SATA SSD. :D

I can only speak for the samsungs, the samsung software has done the migrations for me with no issues at all.
it's been a rare pleasure to have migration software just work without me having to do anymore than disconnect the storage drives and click the mouse once or twice.
I usually use this opportunity to nuke the system and start a new, fresh OS install...

I usually use this opportunity to nuke the system and start a new, fresh OS install...

You just made me realize I haven't had to perform a fresh install since I've been on WinTen. Not a fanboi mind you, but I nuked Win7 several times, and going into the way-back machine, Win3.0,Win95&8 beaucoup times each. ME really sucked too. I wonder if MS may be onto something? Asides from being a pain in the butt in other ways, that is.

Back to the OP, Toshiba's migration tool allowed a very smooth move to my RD400. Couldn't be more pleased with boot times, program loading, backups; very impressed.

If you work with 4K or higher in premier you should use one as a project files/scratch drive https://www.pugetsystems.com/recomm...obe-Premiere-Pro-143/Hardware-Recommendations

"PCI-E x4 M.2 NVMe SSD (Samsung 960 Pro) - These drives are about 30% more expensive than a standard SSD, but around five times faster! However, in most cases you will not see much of a performance difference since a modern standard SSD is already so fast that it is rarely a performance bottleneck. The main time you will see a benefit from using a NVMe drive is if you work with RAW footage when each image is ~15MB or larger. In that case, having your source media on one of these drives will allow you to export much faster and make it much more likely that you will be able to play your timeline live without the need for previews."

so far for me, other than boot times it only, REALLY matters when writing single files over a couple of gigs.

Back