• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop temps out of hand

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So I am using my laptop alot lately. Its older HP 8730W so the unit itself is probably about 7-8 years old. As far as I know its never been opened up to clean. Now its running just fine, but its running super hot to the touch, so I threw on HWMonitor to pull my temps.

laptop temps.png

As you can see these temps are WAYY too high for idle. The fan is turning just fine I can hear it and feel the hot air coming out the side of the unit.

Im thinking probably just TIM replacement and blow out the dust. What do yall think?

I waa in a similar situation with my wife's laptop recently and was surprised at the amount of crap that was built up inside. A simple cleaning and some new paste did wonders for hers. Just be aware some laptops have thermal pads on some of the components so you may be in for replacement of those as well.

If its anything like my 8720W there will be a thermal pad on the NB chip, and the GPU/CPU will be direct to die connected by a heatpipe with the fins/fan in the rear left corner of the chassis.

Back