• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the best ssd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Best ssd in terms of what? What is the intended purpose of your system. Unless you are doing something that relies on heavy data read/write usage you will not see a huge gain gong to the real high end ssds.

Samsung 960 Pro NVME.

Not really a whole lot else faster. A couple come close/match but Samsung has always been reliable for me.

I agree. Samsung makes indeed exelent Storage devices. Also their warranty on their pro series is amazing. 5 year on a storage service. Done deal if you ask me for a larger sized device.

Just remember the warranty doesn't cover any lost data. You still need a good data back up strategy.

Well all the access times/Latency is great on about all of them nice and low, the Read Performance is pretty decent to awesome on about all of them, it's the Write Performance that varies significantly some are absolutely blazing with that and really noticeable in OS operation's and Task's etc.

Yeah if you want the top of the line you go Samsung 960 Pro m.2 drive. Only way to go faster would be running two of them in a raid setup.

It actually looks like the Samsung are the fastest drives in their respective classes, but the AHCI is faster than the NVMe. I have no idea what the difference between AHCI and NVMe are but when benchmarked, the AHCI was slightly faster.

Last edited:
The 960pro is about the best you are going to get.

That said, putting two of them in RAID0, won't i.prove speeds much as you are saturating the bandwidth (DMI 3.0) I belive. You won't see much over 3000 MB/s.

I'd like to hear about the rest of your parts... make sure things are lining up for ya.

The 960pro is about the best you are going to get.

That said, putting two of them in RAID0, won't i.prove speeds much as you are saturating the bandwidth (DMI 3.0) I belive. You won't see much over 3000 MB/s.

I'd like to hear about the rest of your parts... make sure things are lining up for ya.

I had the OCZ the Arc100s in Raid that was pretty quick, but their dead corrupted I don't know not showing up in the bios, so I got this Mushkin eco3 using now pretty happy with it been solid not that fast though just plane jane you know.

Correct. That's also theoretical. Think of SATA3 as well... nothing on it can do 6Gbps. There are also other things using that pathway (like everything to communicate with the CPU).

RAID0 on these fast NVME drives don't yield much and limit hard around 3000MB+ (give a couple hundred). Woomack has tested this here and I have seen it at other sites as well. I would test it myself, however I don't have two like drives.

Here's a link that may help... ;)
We wish Intel would have built-in more bandwidth into DMI 3.0, but 3.4 GB/s read and 3.1 GB/s write is still pretty exciting. When you consider that this much storage bandwidth is available without encroaching on CPU lanes, DMI 3.0 is very attractive.

Read more: http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7...cie-gen-3x4-nvme-ssd-raid-report/index11.html

I need another SSD, but I'm out of SATA ports. Is PCIe SSD booting mainly dependant on motherboard? I could install a PCIe SATA card, but rather try a faster interface for Linux.

I need another SSD, but I'm out of SATA ports. Is PCIe SSD booting mainly dependant on motherboard? I could install a PCIe SATA card, but rather try a faster interface for Linux.

I could have sworn that booting from a PCI-E slot was dependent on the chip. I am not sure though.

Back