• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A10-7860K...one of the most amazing overclocking chips!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pet1700

With my time off during Christmas, I had a chance to build a new PC under $300 budget (insane when you consider that an i7 or latest Ryzen cpu alone cost that much and more).. This beauty was inexpensive,, but can handle overclocking with great coolness and stability, thus yielding results similar or better than machines costing 2x to 3x times more (i.e. i5 or i7 using iGPU)! Check out the benchmark scores.

My question...Do you guys know if future Ryzen CPU/GPU desktop combos will also be this cheap or close to it versus current CPUs costing $300+ for the cpu alone? (The 7860K and motherboard combo cost me $100...that is $50 a piece! Thanks Microcenter for such awesome pricing!)

Processor: AMD a7860K (stock 3.6ghz) running at 4.5ghz using stock cooler at 1.4v (full load stability testing at around 20C thermal margin and 65C thermal margin at idle)
Motherboard: ASRock A88M-G/3.1 FM2+
Graphic Card: Built into the processor. The AMD R7 APU. (Stock 750mhz) running at 900mhz.
Memory: Kingston Hyper X Predator: 16GB DDR3 running at 2400Mhz at CL11 speeds.
RamDrive: 4GB. Used for Windows temp files, browser temp/cache files, and Photoshop Cache.
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Ceramique 2
Case Fans: 3 (120mm) high performance fans from Enermax + plus stock cooler and 120m fan from 650W Corsair PSU

3DMark Benchmark Scores:

Sky Diver: 6863
Cloud Gate: 8168
Fire Strike: 1778
Time Spy: 776

I am still amazed at how well this thing overclocked, and how well it runs with stock cooler.

They're not a bad chip but they do run out of headroom very quickly. I have a 7870k but I'm also a bencher that's how I know.
For $100 you can't go wrong. That was a great deal. It might not be a real power house but it's great for a light use PC.
As for upcoming Ryzen APUs I'm sure they'll be affordable , they'll have improved graphics and IPC but as for final pricing your guess is as good as mine

Yep, still running an [email protected]! Nice HTPC, for very little money.

Could even run most games on high@1080p with a 7970!

Regarding your question, we are all in the same boat. My guess is that you could get 4c/8t ryzen+mobo for around $250.

As Johan said, just a guess...

Back