• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ryzen 1700 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bluecollardroid

Hello all.
I just completed my Ryzen build and was attempting to overclock my 1700. I downloaded CPUz, HWMonitor, and AMD's RyzenMaster. Any overclock above 3.8ghz on all 8 cores causes the screen to go black in the middle of running CPUz benchmark. According to AMD software as well as HWMonitor, the temps never reach 60°C.
In BIOS, I have it set to shut down at 85°C.
I have no idea why the black screen. Am I maybe running out of power, defective MOBO not relaying temperature properly? Any help on this would be awesome.
Specs:
Ryzen 1700
Biostar x370gt5
CF Rx 480 powercolor red dragon
Raidmax 80+bronze 635w PSU
Gammaxx 400 with second fan for push/pull
16GB ddr4 ram
256gb m.2 Intel ssd

You need to bump up the core voltage. What cooler are you using because the AMD Wraith Spire that comes with the 1700 isn't useful for overclocking.

Welcome to OCF bluecollardroid

The Ryzen is still pretty fresh so not all the bugs have been worked out of it yet. That is also the first Biostar we have seen here. That being said it sounds like a power issue to me. Have you tried adding voltage? Or better yet what have you tried to stabilize things?
I found with my R7 1700 that 3.9 was the sweetspot so you're not far off.

Hi, sorry nothing to add but I'm interested in going for a Ryzen 1700 build sometime soon and found this OC 1700 post very interesting.
I have also read that 3.9 was the sweetspot for the 1700.
I was going for the Asrock X370 Taichi Motherboard BTW.
I wouldn't know where to start with overclocking but a could follow the instructions when the time comes, if someone would kindly advice :)

Around 3800MHz is all I can get out of my 1700 unless I use above 1.4v for Vcore. It's stable at 1.351v right now.

You might be hitting your CPU's speed ceiling, or like the others suggested you might need to add more voltage. Just make sure your cooling can handle it.

I'm using the Deepcool Gammax 400 with 2 fans. I am using the Ryzen Master software to overclock. I will try adjusting the voltage more tomorrow. I have decided that the Raidmax is not for me. I bought an EVGA G2 80 gold PSU. It's supposed to be tier one. I will add the new power supply and give it a go tomorrow

Thanks 🤗
Hoping to get all 8 cores stable at 3.9ghz+
This would be epic!!!! Then I only have to wait for an RX Vega and my build is complete

Cooling with a Gammax 400.
Got a second stock fan for push/pull.
Plus 4 120mm case fans. Have only run the CPU-z bench and stress test. 66°C is the max. Will try prime95 tomorrow, wife says time for dinner and bed...lol

Cooling with a Gammax 400.
Got a second stock fan for push/pull.
Plus 4 120mm case fans. Have only run the CPU-z bench and stress test. 66°C is the max. Will try prime95 tomorrow, wife says time for dinner and bed...lol
You have motivated me to push mine harder... Testing 3.8ghz now. The 212 EVO should be on par with that cooler, or slightly better! Here's to hoping I win the silicone lottery!

AMD says 1.35 volts is the max for long term Core voltage. I say they are being conservative to minimize issues from those with high ambient temps with low end air coolers. If you have good case temps and a decent cooler bump the core voltage up. Keep an eye on temps under extended loads.

I have my build based on the Rosewill Thor V2 (A giant case with fantastic ambient temps) plus the 280mm H110i Extreme with Noctua's high flow industrial 140MM fans on the radiator.

AMD says 1.35 volts is the max for long term Core voltage. I say they are being conservative to minimize issues from those with high ambient temps with low end air coolers. If you have good case temps and a decent cooler bump the core voltage up. Keep an eye on temps under extended loads.

I have my build based on the Rosewill Thor V2 (A giant case with fantastic ambient temps) plus the 280mm H110i Extreme with Noctua's high flow industrial 140MM fans on the radiator.

Probably would be wise to follow that 1.35v max with FinFet. One main reason is the transistors stop responding to the increase of voltage.

Shorter pipelines help create this issue and makes difficult for a higher clock speed. So we are stuck to a lower clock speed, saving power and relaxing the restriction on some of the less critical transistors. So you increase the frequency and loose that efficiency, add heat and really put more stress on the processor in general whether we look at it from a power savings stand point or sheer throughput, your not going to gain much or any at all pushing 1.45v and trying to accomplish maybe a personal goal.

So you look at how you want to build, or engineer if you will, a processor. Now both top makers have tried long pipelines. It's a great selling feature, but throughput is lost. Here's where old sayings are born. Faster isn't always better. Ask the wife ;). Just because you can run 1.41250v stable and has a clock speed of 3846.4mhz, you've totally lost all efficiency to gain maybe 1% or so.

A wise man would tell any average OC'er and Gamer'er to run 1.35v or less with a Ryzen processor and get what you can from it. 3.7ghz to 3.8ghz is not worth 1.35v. Keep that sub 1.2v and 3.7ghz... (that is my 2 cents and sticking to it)

Back