• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are my temps too high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

647chang

Registered
Let me tell you a little bit of my set up. The case Im using is NZXT manta. Ek waterblock with i7700k. Evga 1080 hydrocopper. I have 2x 240 rad. Front rad is pulling air in and top rad is pushing air out. No over clock what so ever. With the top of case close Im hitting 67° max, with it open its getting 55° max. A friend of mine is saying the front should be a exhaust too, so I don't take in hot air. My cpu temp checking with bios is saying 5-10° hotter then GPU, is this normal? Now my front intake fan is a case fan and not a SP fan. Don't know if this will make a BIG difference?

All you can do is experiment and see what the best combination is. The fact that you run 12c cooler with the top open indicates you need to make some changes to the air flow in the case. If the fans on both radiators are exhausting then you need to beef up the case fans that serve as intake. And keep in mind that the balance of intake v. exhaust will impact how fast dust accumulates inside the case because of postitive/negative case air pressure dynamics. If you want to keep dust out of the computer and the radiators then you need to have more air going in than out. And that might be a challenge if all the radiator fans are exhausting.

Let me tell you a little bit of my set up. The case Im using is NZXT manta. Ek waterblock with i7700k. Evga 1080 hydrocopper. I have 2x 240 rad. Front rad is pulling air in and top rad is pushing air out. No over clock what so ever. With the top of case close Im hitting 67° max, with it open its getting 55° max. A friend of mine is saying the front should be a exhaust too, so I don't take in hot air. My cpu temp checking with bios is saying 5-10° hotter then GPU, is this normal? Now my front intake fan is a case fan and not a SP fan. Don't know if this will make a BIG difference?

I saw a test done on this by Jayztwocents on youtube (about the whole radiators venting into or out of the case) and he saw literally zero difference in temperature performance on both the GPU and CPU, but did see a 1-2*c temp rise in the case. Now ask yourself if this is enough to worry about? I would say no. Now, the fact that the side panel allows the case to run cooler tells us that you do indeed have a case flow issue. Add more fans to move some air. You shouldnt see a dramatic temp drop like that with the top/side panel off. As Trents has said above.

How did you test the temps? Did you pull the panel off while it was running and see temps drop. Did you shutdown the pc then pull off panel then fire it up and test

I ask because on water if you did it the second way that would also explain a temp drop as your water temp could have been much lower.

I'm not saying that is the case but make sure you test them in exactly the same matter making sure water temps have a chance to stabilize.

Back