• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delid on 7700k Done!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tgrable

Well I got impatient on waiting on a rockit88 so I ended up doing it via razor blade less than 2 hrs ago. Holy **** was I nervous when I first hit the boot button and nothing happened!! Helps if you check the on/off switch on your PSU when that happens.

Anyways Going to test temps after I do this and will update.

Predelid after 10 min of p95 I was at water temp of 26.6C and Ambient temp was 22.2 (72F)

Max Core Temps were

1- 78
2- 68
3- 71
4- 66

This is on custom water btw.

The Tim Between the Die and IHS had noticable air pockets in it, but the silicon seal seamed to be excellent and thin. So lets hope my own silicon skills aren't terrible lol

Update to follow in about 15 minutes :-D

OK results are in. First off I noticed all my cores are MUCH closer together in temp. So the huge spread is gone.

That being said the results are as follows.

Ambient was 24C (75F)

Water Temp - 28.2c

Core 1 - 56C
Core 2 - 55C
Core 3 - 53C
Core 4 - 57C

All in all I am pretty pleased. Gives me a lot more headroom for overclocking this thing without worrying about temps breaching 80 so fast. Also noticed instead of temps instantly shooting to 70+ when I started p95.. that they would shoot up to 45ish then slowly increase until the temps went steady at those above temps. Then they just fluctuated up and down slightly.

I will need to change my fan profile though as my fans are basically doing little at those temps. I dont have them ramping up until 80C lol.

Last edited:
Mine dropped about 25*c under load after delid :eek: The thermal paste was literally dry and crumbly (on a brand new 7700k, not sure how that happens?)

Mine dropped about 25*c under load after delid :eek: The thermal paste was literally dry and crumbly (on a brand new 7700k, not sure how that happens?)

I forgot to get good paste for the top of the IHS :p So using some Artic Silver 5. I have a feeling I could gain another 3-5c Improvement with it over artic.

Also the other paste had time to cure, so im sure that will play a part as well going forward.

Edit- Just booted up at 5ghz at 1.295 V. So far highest temp is 69C. Couldn't even hope to do this before. Only about 3-5 min into p95 so far no errors. Figure Ill give it an hr and if no errors Try Aida64 for a bit to see where we land.

Last edited:
What paste did you use under the ihs? Expect a 1-2c difference by switching to a better paste over the AS5.

My hat is off to you, I waited for my Rockitcool, lol. What did you use between the IHS and the die? Or are you running naked?

I used Liquid Ultra. Had to up my voltage a little. Running 5ghz at 1.315 for the last 35 min or so with no crashes on p95. Temps are 69-72. Then again that is a huge improvement alone. I was turning those temps at stock before. So im sure my game temps will be 45ish

Ok, yea I would just stick with the AS5 truthfully you really will not have much gain by going to something better.

I used Liquid Ultra. Had to up my voltage a little. Running 5ghz at 1.315 for the last 35 min or so with no crashes on p95. Temps are 69-72. Then again that is a huge improvement alone. I was turning those temps at stock before. So im sure my game temps will be 45ish

That's great, I'd be curious what your temps are with something like Kryonaut between the IHS and the heastink vs AS5. I dropped ~30C with Conductonaut between the die and IHS and then Kryonaut.

Im currently sitting at 5.1 @ 1.392 volts. (I can push stable 5.2 but the voltage has to be set around 1.48 to get it stable) I never crest 65-67 during bench testing. Stock I was like you, it jumped temp in a ridiculous manner!!!

LOL I just said the exact opposite basically

The gains are so minimal that going to a better tim will net maybe 3c difference if you are lucky. Between the extra cost and hassle of the remount I don't think it is worth it.

I figured I would give it a week or two and see if the Temps come down as this stuff starts to cure.

That being said I don't mind the remount tbh. I did it so many times pre delid trying to get temps down that one more will not kill me. I am curious if the kyronaut would do better than the liquid metal pads.. The pads use to do really well, but they are a PITA to setup.

Anyways Ill see where temps are in a few weeks. Probably going to order some new fans for my bottom radiator as the ones on it don't seem to do well for static pressure.

I figured I would give it a week or two and see if the Temps come down as this stuff starts to cure.

That being said I don't mind the remount tbh. I did it so many times pre delid trying to get temps down that one more will not kill me. I am curious if the kyronaut would do better than the liquid metal pads.. The pads use to do really well, but they are a PITA to setup.

Anyways Ill see where temps are in a few weeks. Probably going to order some new fans for my bottom radiator as the ones on it don't seem to do well for static pressure.
Check out the vardar fans from EK.

I'm WAY too happy with 4.4 ghz on my 6700k to attempt a delidding, especially considering I'm using a bulky Cryorig H5A Universal air block to do it!

Thats crazy though at the temp drops. Makes me wish they used solder instead of paste :p

I'm WAY too happy with 4.4 ghz on my 6700k to attempt a delidding, especially considering I'm using a bulky Cryorig H5A Universal air block to do it!

Thats crazy though at the temp drops. Makes me wish they used solder instead of paste :p

I will say I was pretty nervous for a good part of the process which is a shame since I have some pretty good razor blade skills :p

All in all I feel it was definately worth it. I am able to overclock to 5ghz and have lower temps than I was getting on stock speeds before. So for me that is definately a major improvement.

Another benefit was that all my core temps are within a few C of each other instead of 10-12C difference between hottest and coldest as I was seeing before.

Grabbed these from my phone from last night.
One is of the CPU after delid. The other is after getting Liquid ultra on the die, but before I wiped off some of those excess clumps. I did however make it a little thicker that most people just for the fact that I forgot to mark the die location before removing the old paste.. so instead of trying to get the top application perfect I just applied a tiny bit more on top and hoped it would do the job I wanted.

I also used nail polish on the 3 dots close to the die just in case some did manage to come off the die and make its way down there.(better safe than sorry)

Anyways still happy with the result and figured since I had some time I would get those pics up. Overall was not terrible and I would definately feel comfortable doing it again in the same way.

20170313_172202.jpg 20170313_174820.jpg

Back