• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delid 7700k? (keeping stock speed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mt_keg

I recently purchased a 7700k and have seen that there are advantages to delid if you OC. If I choose not to OC at this time will it be worth delidding??

What are your temperatures under 100% load? Likely just fine. So therefor, there would be no benefit unless its running at high temperatures.

There's always some benefit , because using $200 thermal paste under the IHS will offer at least 2 degrees of difference versus the paste Intel uses (just an example). The question is if the risk is worth it. It's very easy to kill your CPU by delidding. If not OC'ing then unless you're noticing unusually high temperatures i would leave it be.

If you are not overclocking then I would not do it. These chips are designed to withstand those temps at stock speeds.

So while it may run warmer than a delid it also is not at risk of hurting the pc.

It is only when you need the thermal headeoom to overclock that you should consider it.

Thanks for your responses! I haven't installed the cpu in the computer yet so no data until later in the week. I will install without delid and see how it performs.

Which benchmark should I use to test the cpu?

If I want to OC in the next few months should I just pull the cpu and delid then?

Thanks again!

I recently purchased a 7700k and have seen that there are advantages to delid if you OC. If I choose not to OC at this time will it be worth delidding??
Nope. Temps will be lower.. that's it. But you have to ask yourself, to what end? The answer... to have lower temperatures. Yippee. You blow your warranty for ~10C and don't even overclock? I don't see a point. Temps will clearly be fine with the cpu at stock...it's how they were made to run.

I wouldn't delid unless you had to. Which, 99% of people really shouldnt/dont.

for the extra price you pay on the K line for ocing, i wish they were soldered like back in the day...

There's always some benefit , because using $200 thermal paste under the IHS will offer at least 2 degrees of difference versus the paste Intel uses (just an example). The question is if the risk is worth it. It's very easy to kill your CPU by delidding.

It's also very easy not to, and nearly all of people who do it dont kill their CPU. I've delided every CPU I've owned for the last few generations, I know nothing about deliding beyond what I've read on the Internet and I've never had an issue. It's really not difficult, you just need a razor blade and some patience. Also, if you're paying $200 for TIM, I have some LiquidCool Ultra I will sell you for $100! Great deal.:attn:

I agree there is no point in doing it at stock speed though.

Back