• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6700k Core #1 around 30* cooler than the rest?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I suspect you underestimate the amount of voltage needed to generate stability on all cores. Either that or you were to aggressive with your overclock. Just can't see that many bad CPUs turning up in a row.

I suspect you underestimate the amount of voltage needed to generate stability on all cores. Either that or you were to aggressive with your overclock. Just can't see that many bad CPUs turning up in a row.

Under or over? I'm not even sure anymore because 1.4X is way beyond anything I ever imagined setting on a CPU, and yet it's still not stable, so I'm just going to dial it down to 4.5 or just run it at optimal settings and call it a day. And I was monitoring the temps during the OC. 4.7-4.8 seems to be the ballpark for quite a few lucky 6700k users, so I was hoping to land it there. This whole thing didn't go at all as I imagined, and this is just discouraging me to even give a s**t anymore.

Last edited:
Yes, but yours is the i5, 4.5GHz is really good for a 6600k (you lucky devil).

The i7 6700k and the i5 6600k are made from the same Die, Intel uses Product binning to select quality of each Die.

Semiconductor manufacturing is an imprecise process, sometimes achieving as low as 30% yield.[2] Defects in manufacturing are not always fatal, however; in many cases it is possible to salvage part of a failed batch of integrated circuits by modifying performance characteristics. For example, by reducing the clock frequency or disabling non-critical parts that are defective, the parts can be sold at a lower price, fulfilling the needs of lower-end market segments.[3][4]

This practice occurs throughout the semiconductor industry on products such as CPUs, RAM, and GPUs.[4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

The i7 6700k and the i5 6600k are made from the same Die, Intel uses Product binning to select quality of each Die.

Good info! Thanks! So I set the bios to optimal settings, did p95, and it's happy. I'm just going to leave it there and call it that. Now to keep up to updates on performance and optimization of the upcoming R5, since it looks to be exactly what I'm looking for out of a CPU.

Good info! Thanks! So I set the bios to optimal settings, did p95, and it's happy. I'm just going to leave it there and call it that. Now to keep up to updates on performance and optimization of the upcoming R5, since it looks to be exactly what I'm looking for out of a CPU.

Im excited for the r5 line for one major reason. It will make budget pc builds much more powerful than they currently are.

I tend to build a lot of budget gaming machines (sub 500) for friends/family/and other locals. So to have a line of cpus that will offer performance similar to an i5/i7 at a lower price point will be nice.

Im excited for the r5 line for one major reason. It will make budget pc builds much more powerful than they currently are.

I tend to build a lot of budget gaming machines (sub 500) for friends/family/and other locals. So to have a line of cpus that will offer performance similar to an i5/i7 at a lower price point will be nice.

I'm just excited that the red team is finally getting back on its feet. I have an AM2+ rig from way back when, and I used to have a intel pentium 3 rig from 2001 (that later got a pentium 4, and then finally a celeron), and the AMD rig is comparable in performance. Hasn't been the case for a while now.

So, surensm did you set everyting back to stock on your current CPU or are you overclocking it at all?

So, surensm did you set everyting back to stock on your current CPU or are you overclocking it at all?

I think surensm is on 4.5GHz.:)

For now it's stock, but once I find more time between work and hobbies, I'll set it to 4.5 as wingman99 suggested. I'm not too optimistic on it working, though. We'll see hw it goes.

Back