• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Alienware 15R3 w/ 7th Gen Intel Core i7-7700HQ 3.8GHz Turbo- Can it overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CircaRigel

Hi everyone. Some of what I'm about to say may sound a bit odd, but if you look up "neurofeedback," you will gain better understanding of what I'm talking about. Well, more than a bit odd, but the premise behind my plan is sound.

I'm new here, and joined to learn more about overclocking, and particularly if the particular core I have can be overclocked. I believe the rest of the system is capable of it, as there is a version with the 7th generation i7-7700HK core- essentially the identical system with a different core- and it specifically states it can be overclocked to 4.4 GHz. The only reason I have this particular version is due to the fact that it was offered to me for review purposes via Amazon's Vine reviewer program... I couldn't afford it otherwise (but have always wanted an Alienware, hence my accepting the offer and the computer).

Anyway, I know the HK series of the i7 is capable of overclocking, and I was curious if there was a way around the HQ version being locked into 2.8-3.8 GHz turbo to push it up to the 4.4 GHz like the HK version. Has anyone tried this and succeeded? I only wonder because I can't really afford an i7 7700HK processor to swap in. As it is, I do plan on some upgrades, including doubling the RAM and swapping in a 1-2TB SSD for the 1TB HDD. I may eventually also upgrade the graphics card to the GTX 1080, but again, too expensive at present.

My reasons for wanting the upgrades? I also hope to get the Oculus Rift or HTC VIVE VR kit eventually. I've been seeing if either of those companies might help me get it sooner via a sponsorship, as my intent is to test it as a form of neurofeedback, to see if it helps overcome issues associated with traumatic brain injury (TBI)- and yes, I'll probably be the first guinea pig, as TBI was just one of the many massive injuries sustained in a high velocity, 30+ foot fall onto granite boulders on my bicycle 5 years ago.

I've worked in medical research in the past, and realize a self test would not count towards regular use in medical settings, but as I have no preconceived notion as to whether it will work or not, it would at least be a start. I doubt I'll get a sponsorship, but it doesn't hurt to try. Gaming has helped me regain a lot of fine motor coordination that was lost in an accident that resulted in the TBI and multiple spine injuries, as well as helping hand-eye coordination, but an eye alignment issue remains, causing double vision at times, particularly when I'm tired. I believe the nature of the visual interface used in VR may help rewire things and strengthen the muscles to restore normal tracking.

I'm pretty sure any VR gaming would be greatly improved with the upgrades I've discussed. If there's a way to overclock the i7 HQ series, though, It would save me the cost and wait of saving up for the i7 HK CPU. I want the VR experience to be as smooth as possible in order to increase chances that what I have in mind works. If successful, I can then present the idea to researchers I know in hopes of collaborating on a grant proposal to do a proper study.

Here's a link to the laptop I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCOSCY7

Last edited:
Back