• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU Wattage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arinmal

Hey everyone!

So I just got a asus 295x2 and am loving it (friend got 1080ti's so gave me a great deal). My psu is a tx750w and at full load from the wall im drawing 700w running 3dmark timespy. closest in gaming is 650-680w running dragon age 3 maxed (480w with 4xmsaa off) and normal is around 480w with vsync off with other games.

Most games with vsync on I'm around 260w

I do realize this has been asked a lot already but never with a wall meter reading (not that I've seen anyways).

CPU is i5 4690k
and motherboard is MSI gaming 3

I will upgrade to a larger psu at some point, but for the next month or so is that psu going to be fine with that draw? I'm guessing it is since im lower than the psu is rated for but im a newb when it comes to rail and amps...
Thank you everyone!

I would look at a new PSU sooner rather than later IMO. The TX series are older/worn out now, and whilst it should be fine, I'd bump up a little bit for sure to a newer unit. EVGA Supanova 850 Gold would do the trick. The 295x2 is such a power hungry card. I wouldn't personally trust one of Corsairs more entry level PSUs that barely makes the mark for an extended period of time..

Others may suggest otherwise, but I wouldn't. As stated it Should be okay, but I'm not sure...

While it is an older psu, with 70pW peak at the wall, you are likely only pulling 600W actual (efficiency is like 85% on that psu I think). I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it, personally. That said, the Evga g2/g3 supernova lines are the best tier 1 bang for the buck psu. Grab an 85pW in case you want to overclock the gpu and cpu for more headroom.

To give you an ieea, I ran aN overclocked 5820k (4.5ghz) and a 295x2 myself. With bith fully overclocked to their limits for benchmarking (meaning not stable for 24/7) I peaked around 800W actual. You have a less power hungry cpu amd will run things stable. 850W is plenty.

Hinestly, how you run the system, with vsync, I wouldn't even use that gpu. Sell it and get a single one... not worth potential hassles and heat it makes.

Yea I going to get a 1060 but my friend sold me this which he didn't use much for $300, couldn't pass it up

That's ok, thanks for the advice. I will upgrade to be safe, I just didn't want to have a fire

Back