• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is overclocking reducing cpu usage in gaming??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jusumoner

Registered
I have a i5-4690k and on the recently games i play (Battlefield 1 , Ghost recon Wildlands) i get really close too 100% cpu usage some times

If i overcloak my cpu, is the cpu usage gonna droppa a little bit? like to 85-90%?

Overclocking... not overcloaking. :)

Shouldn't drop much at all... no. Whatever is using it, will still use it, just faster.

Actually it's called CPU utilization and depending on what software you are using that determines the CPU utilization. CPU utilization is not based on Processor speed. Example with running 100% in BF1 at stock speed 3.6 GHz the FPS is 110 then running 100% at 4.5GHz on BF1 it is 144FPS.

If you are concerned about high CPU usage there is at least one easy solution. That is to increase the resolution of the game. That will move the bottleneck from you CPU to your GPU.

The reason your cpu is getting hammered is because in a lot of games at 1080p or lower a powerful graphics card will make a ton of draw requests because of the high FPS it is running, this in turn means the cpu is handling the game aspect and the draw requests which can over-whelm the cpu.

When you turn up the resolution the GPU has to work harder for each frame and in return it lowers the FPS. This means the GPU is sending less draw requests to the cpu and thus reduces the CPU usage.

So if it is running fine I wouldn't worry about it tbh, it is just a bottleneck with your CPU which will happen because of the resolution you are playing at. If you are wanting to reduce the cpu usage you can always up the resolutuon, but your fps will drop accordingly.

Thanks for the reply, yeah i did some reading and saw that overclocking dosent reduce cpu usage just boost up the frame and do the work quicker atm i am at 4.5ghz 1.222vcore i might drope a little bit bcs i dont want to oc that much.

Get yourself a 1080p 144Hz monitor with a minimum of 144FPS and game with fast movements experiencing no blur.:D

Thanks for the reply, yeah i did some reading and saw that overclocking dosent reduce cpu usage just boost up the frame and do the work quicker atm i am at 4.5ghz 1.222vcore i might drope a little bit bcs i dont want to oc that much.
Why not? Voltage is plenty fine and temps under 90c stress testing are fine...I'd say to grow a pair, but, it doesn't take a pair to run where you are currently at. :p :)

Back