• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accidentally erased index, now recovered files are all corrupt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

syc0path

I have a 3TB hard drive that I was trying to move from 1 computer to another, and I accidentally started to change some setting. I think I started to change it to an MBR disk or something like that. Anyway, I stopped it immediately. I put the drive in another computer, but none of the files were visible. Someone told me to try Recuva.

Before I could get Recuva to recognize the drive, I had to format it. I did a quick format and then started Recuva. Everything seemed to go well -- all the files were recovered, and the filenames, file sizes, and folder structure all appeared correctly as well.

But then I tried to open the files. Nothing works. I've tried JPG, MP3, MP4, 3GP, AVI, HTML, DOCX, XLSX, and even plain text files. Only the DOCX and plain text files will even open, and they show up as a bunch of strange characters.

I've tried recovering a few files again, but the recovered versions still don't work. What else should I try?

I don't think there is anything else to try that doesn't cost thousands of $. Been there done that.

It's just frustrating becuz it was able to recover all the file names and folder structure. So why can't it reassemble any of the files??

Back