• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New WC build nearly done - questions thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

animalmom

Registered
Hi all,

1) Thanks to great advice on this forum I am nearly done with my first WC Rig.

I am curious about drain port - I am going to use a t joint ball valve but ewhere?

I was going to do it right after my pump but I've always heard lowest point in my rig.

In this picture you will see lowest point I think is the bottom fo the front rad. Should I turn the Rad over and put the drain port on the outfolow of the rad or will it be OK given it's after the pump and I can just use the pump to pump out water until nearly done then just turn the computer over etc?

2i91j85.jpg

2). I cannot fit the third Varder fan on the upper 360 rad in the case as the ATX power supply makes it just not fit. I cannot use the 4 pin without taking off the second fan!!! Are there skinnier fans I can buy or is there some other solution - majorly bummed since the EKWB configurator said everything wuld work/fit

Any ideas?

1zr2yow.jpg

Looking good so far.

There are slim fans out there but they won't be efficient enough as rad fans. I think you should stick with these fans even though the design of the case, lacks the spacing between a fan at the top and the MB to the side. Some cases have a nice gap while others don't. You just won't have a fan there for now.

As for the drainage, I don't see an issue with flipping that 240mm in the front and have it connected to the port closest to you whether its a in or out because gravity won't care.

Some more stream of consciousness:

1). When putting the EKWB ACF fittings into parts do you put silicone grease on the ends withthe o-rings?

2). Do you put your silver kill coil in the res or in the tubes?

3). I have an ASUS fan card that came with the ROG Rampage Mobo- where do you mount it? It has two holes (for screws I thinkk). Or do you just put it on the backside of the mobo and let it hang (should be fine I would think)

Thanks, first try

no problem!! I have no experience (yet) as my first kit is in the mail as well. Im just going off what I have read during my research on this forum :)

And, it makes sense that the shorter the loop (less linear footage to push the water through) the less restriction there is in the system :)

Looks very good man! Im excited as well!

And in all honestly if you dont want to drain the loop, might just leave it until your first maintenance drain/refill? Would be easier to shorten tubing at that time instead of draining it all back out currently.

Haha yeah I was afraid to make kinks and was afraid to have it too tight. I will probably play around with it - I bought a lot of extraa tubing. I put in a drain port ball valve at the bottom so have to test that right????

But dudes, it's working!!! Installing OS now

fdavyw.jpg

OK wow.

I don't know if it's the hardware or what but I havent made a computer in 4 years and windows took 3 min 21 seconds to install

Win 10 from USB 2 to my 960Pro

It used to take at least a half hour IIRC. Is windwows just better or is it the HD/USB combo?

Hmm - I have hooked up the antennas to my comp and no wifi in win 10

Does anyone know how to enable it - i get no wifi option

Im trying to figure out in bios - cant.

Wifi controller is enabled

Cant figure it out

First, make sure you've leak tested even if you've switched a few things around. If its at a low point away from the electronics, I guess a few hours will do just fine but again, its up to you.

As far as the new tech and software goes, it's blazing fast when installing or d/l and installing these days with M.2 NVME drives. Gone are the diskette and CD-Rom days and eventually it will only get better. I hope to officially see RAM drives one day.

These are the steps I take when doing a complete new build and or install.

1. BIOS is up to date

2. Install W10

3. Install the newest drivers from the MB's mfger site.

4. Windows Updates

5. 3rd party software

Eventually you will tinker and clean up your loop over time. You will find some angled fittings that will assist you in that but for now, as long as there are no kinks and stress points, you're good to go.

Hmm - I have hooked up the antennas to my comp and no wifi in win 10

Does anyone know how to enable it - i get no wifi option

Im trying to figure out in bios - cant.

Wifi controller is enabled

Cant figure it out
You are likely going to have to hook up to the LAN port and download the wifi driver for the MoBo (I'm assuming it's built into the MoBo and not an add on card??)

Yep thanks i will download all the drivers now.

Leak tested it for about 6 hours. No leaks.

Silly question, I downloaded Asus live update, it said I had no updates a few times. Does that mean my chipset, drivers etc are all working as they should and I am done?

I recall i used to have to manually do the chipset and driver packages etc.

I'm not sure what has been done. You could go to the Asus website and find your chipset drivers that way.

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave advice.

Averything is working great. No leaks or issues. Very stable temps. Now on to overclocking

Here is the non O/C bench

2mexzsy.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If the software says you are up to date, then, I'd believe it.

Just a PSA - the software is evidently hideously bad. I can confirm this. It said I was up to date and the Bios, Chipset, wifi drivers at a minimum were not.

I removed it.

Back