• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got my 1080 Ti!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

I got my 1080 Ti this morning, along with the EVGA powerlink (bought as a combo). My first surprise is how much smaller the card is when compared to my 980 TI (EVGA Classified version) I would guess its 25% smaller give or take a bit. Nice looking card and it installed very nicely with the powerlink. The powerlink is a bit wonky and not very sturdy, but it sure cleaned up the cables and makes the case look cleaner. I was a bit disappointed that the light up words on the card just say GEFORCE GTX, I would have really loved it to include 1080 Ti. However the green is very noticeable and looks very sharp in my case.

My second and even better surprise is how easily and how high this thing OC'd. Using MSI Afterburner and only messing with it for a couple hours I got the core clock to 2012 and memory to 5587 and I have still yet to hit the ceiling. I am just a bit worried about pushing it further, I don't want to burn it up lol. It seems to be rock solid though, ran Heaven and 3dmark benches/stress tests and no issues at all. I do have the fan to 75% though, highest temp I have seen it 87. I can't hear the fan even at 75% but I have the loud arse air running so I am not sure how loud it really is.

How has everyone else fared so far with OCing this beast?

Edit: to clarify, I saw it hit 87 before I put that fan up to 75%, after that it rarely hit 70.

Last edited:
That's awesome dude! I don't have one (yet). I am going to do the step up program for the 1080ti FE since I just got my 1080. What is the powerlink?

Ok after some more tweaking and playing it seems even when I push the core higher it still settles on 2012mhz as where it wants to stay. It will start out at 2062 but after a couple of mins it drops and ends up at 2012mhz, memory I was able to push to 5961mhz and I get crashes if I push it higher, was hoping for 6k but I guess I can't complain too much lol. For benchmarks Fire Strike Ultra I am at 6829 OC (1300 points higher then what 3dmark calls a 4k gaming PC) compared to 6313 stock, compared to about 4400 with my 980 Ti. Very happy with this purchase!!

Edit: The speeds I am quoting are coming from MSI afterburner, both Heaven and 3dmark report the core speed at 2050/2062, I am guessing it just uses what it sees right as the benchmark starts?

Ok after some more tweaking and playing it seems even when I push the core higher it still settles on 2012mhz as where it wants to stay. It will start out at 2062 but after a couple of mins it drops and ends up at 2012mhz, memory I was able to push to 5961mhz and I get crashes if I push it higher, was hoping for 6k but I guess I can't complain too much lol. For benchmarks Fire Strike Ultra I am at 6829 OC (1300 points higher then what 3dmark calls a 4k gaming PC) compared to 6313 stock, compared to about 4400 with my 980 Ti. Very happy with this purchase!!

Edit: The speeds I am quoting are coming from MSI afterburner, both Heaven and 3dmark report the core speed at 2050/2062, I am guessing it just uses what it sees right as the benchmark starts?

On the stock cooler, its going to throttle. There is no way around it on the stock blower style cooler.

Yes. If it wasnt, you would be holding steady at the requested speed. How do your GPU-Z graphs look? Are you monitoring?

Yes I have gpu-z open, what besides temp and speed do I need to monitor? I am a bit new to OC a GPU, have not done much of it.

I put the fan speed at 100 % and it dropped temps to below 60 and now it stays solid at 2025mhz. So obviously it is throttling I'm just a bit surprised its doing it at such low temps.

basically when you click over to the sensors tab, it will monitor everything you need. When it starts dropping clock speed, look at the voltage and the perf cap reason. My 1080 will actually start to throttle a little bit starting at 40*c when Im trying to push a 2150 or better clock speed. At 2138 it will start to throttle at 50*c. As soon as it hits 50* it will drop to 2126.

I learned this when I was trying to get max OC from my 1080 ftw hybrid, and started watching GPU-Z closely and it was consistent time and time again :)

Ah ok that helps, thanks. The Perfcap Reason is almost always Vrel and/or pwr. So even though its not saying its heat related, higher temps means more power is being used. So it seems to be a power/voltage issue.

Ah ok that helps, thanks. The Perfcap Reason is almost always Vrel and/or pwr. So even though its not saying its heat related, higher temps means more power is being used. So it seems to be a power/voltage issue.
If you watch the temps, you are going to see that when it hits a certain temp, it's going to power limit. And in turn your core clock will drop.

I have EVGA 1080Ti FE and there is no issue with stock fan. After overvoltage it hits 86°C max and it's not throttling when I set priority to GPU temp. These cards change GPU clock depends on many factors. If clock goes +/- 30MHz during lower or higher load it doesn't mean it's throttling. When I set priority to power limit then card runs at lower clock and then I could say it's throttling but power throttling point is lower than max TDP of the card ( I can say that much lower ).
Btw my card in EVGA soft and in Win10 sets gpu clock to 2012MHz too. That's when I set +220 or +240MHz. The same card in Win7 is acting in a different way and is boosting much higher. In Win7 I have to set +170MHz to see 2012MHz. Still stable is not much above 2000MHz and it's typical looking at other user results.
I just think there is something in drivers what is limiting OC and changes card's behaviour.

2 months later... finally got my step-up approved! Sending the card back this week and hope to get the new one (1080Ti FE) next week sometime!!

Got the card last night and gave it a go in Ghost Recon Wildlands. I can finally play at 4k with everything cranked up!!

Although, when I tried to run 3D Mark, 3 times I tripped the circuit breaker in the house... Not sure why that would happen, since it's a 20A breaker, and my PSU is 750W, with only a TV on the rest of the circuit that my wife was watching. Hmmm. Hahaha, going to have to think about that one.

Back