• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, updated to the new bios. Still won't run at 2933 without extra voltage to the ram. Still got random cold boot 'overclock failed', even after bumping vttddr voltage. My ram is indeed single rank, single sided. For all intents and purposes it should run at 2666 according to AMD as I only have 2 sticks of it. No boot at auto timings and 2400 settings. Gonna try to use DOCP + the 2666 divider next. I just don't think I really should have to juice the ram voltage like I have been to get 2933. I'd be happy waiting till the May update, but I'm sure I can do better than 2133 :/

I have been running the CPU AVX tasks on the FX processors only on a physical core with affinity. So the CPU task has sole access to the FPU in the module. Only 4 CPU tasks at the same time at all times. The virtual cores have only to feed the GPU tasks and don't use the FPU at all. But with double the amount of physical cores with R7 compared to FX, I am doing double the amount of work supposedly. But when I look at the number of CPU tasks completed per day between the Ryzen and FX systems, I am actually getting 4 times the number of completed CPU tasks done.

Interesting... makes me want to dig deeper myself, although most of my farm is tied up in a challenge at PrimeGrid at the moment. I'll have to see if I can run it on some i3 systems not in the challenge and compare to Ryzen that way.

Elsewhere, the new bios has enabled me to boot at 2666 ram speed with the Corsair LPX and DOCP setting, whereas previously I couldn't boot above 2400. It is interesting the timings it has picked are slacker than XMP values. Haven't had time to try higher yet.

Here is something I have come across. When I first put my system together I ran Cinebench with no problems on my 1700 OC to 3.7Ghz with a Zalman Cooler and Core voltage set at Auto. Not sure if it was BIOS 504 or 511 but it ran flawlessly. Now with 604 I start Cinebench and pretty much immediate black screen and keyboard lights go out, yet system still on and running have to restart or hard shutdown. This was new to me so quick google search proves not enough voltage. Was able to get around it with voltage offset. Did they change voltage scaling not to be so aggressive? Anyone else have to adjust their overclock or set a manual voltage after a certain BIOS version? Also wondering if it's better to set and offset for core voltage or a manual static value for voltage. Just weird how day one I did not have to mess with voltages and month later now I do.

Here is something I have come across. When I first put my system together I ran Cinebench with no problems on my 1700 OC to 3.7Ghz with a Zalman Cooler and Core voltage set at Auto. Not sure if it was BIOS 504 or 511 but it ran flawlessly. Now with 604 I start Cinebench and pretty much immediate black screen and keyboard lights go out, yet system still on and running have to restart or hard shutdown. This was new to me so quick google search proves not enough voltage. Was able to get around it with voltage offset. Did they change voltage scaling not to be so aggressive? Anyone else have to adjust their overclock or set a manual voltage after a certain BIOS version? Also wondering if it's better to set and offset for core voltage or a manual static value for voltage. Just weird how day one I did not have to mess with voltages and month later now I do.

That's really not uncommon with new BIOS releases. Many things can change and you should never just assume it's the same as previous. Setting the same offset on a new BIOS can put you over the max allowed voltage so it always a good idea to start your system on defaults after a BIOS update. You are correct that your issue is a lack of voltage on auto settings. We'll never know why the voltage was dropped but it was you'll need to figure out what you need to keep it stable. You could try dropping to 3.6, if it's stable there then work your way up slowly to 3.7 etc...

Thanks for the response. I upped CPU Voltage offset little by litlle and kept running Cinebench till it finished without black screen of death. Pretty much have her stable. In stead of running an offset I might just set a static value for since I know the ballpark voltage value I need now. With the new Ryzen Power setting that was released temps should stay low at idle I would think.

Just food for thought, but I wouldn't consider Cinebench to be a stability test platform. Try running AIDA64 or IBT.

I posted that bios last page :)

Did a little more playing with it tonight. It seems no mobo really likes the Corsair LPX 3000 I have, although this latest bios will let it boot DOCP 2666, whereas with older it would only get as far as 2400. Haven't managed 2933 yet, even after trying slacking timings more, and increasing VTT up to half of ram which it didn't left on auto. I really wish AMD provided more intermediate multipliers for ram.

Did a little more playing with it tonight. It seems no mobo really likes the Corsair LPX 3000 I have, although this latest bios will let it boot DOCP 2666, whereas with older it would only get as far as 2400. Haven't managed 2933 yet, even after trying slacking timings more, and increasing VTT up to half of ram which it didn't left on auto. I really wish AMD provided more intermediate multipliers for ram.

I'm having good luck with 16-17-17-35 or 16-18-18-36.

I have same kit but actually bit the bullet and ordered G.Skils Ripjaws 3200mhz kit today. I have seen a few people have good look with those on these boards.

I have same kit but actually bit the bullet and ordered G.Skils Ripjaws 3200mhz kit today. I have seen a few people have good look with those on these boards.
The Aegis don't seem to want to play nice with Ryzen do they? Can't seem to get em stable at 2933, and 2666 is about the same. I'm waiting till the May update and will decide what to do from there. They are single sided, single rank, hynix memory if anyone wanted to know. Should, in theory, meet the needs for 2666, but they don't. Think they need the XMP sub-timings but Ryzen can't set those at the moment which causes the OC failed messages :/

Well, updated to the new bios. Still won't run at 2933 without extra voltage to the ram. Still got random cold boot 'overclock failed', even after bumping vttddr voltage. My ram is indeed single rank, single sided. For all intents and purposes it should run at 2666 according to AMD as I only have 2 sticks of it. No boot at auto timings and 2400 settings. Gonna try to use DOCP + the 2666 divider next. I just don't think I really should have to juice the ram voltage like I have been to get 2933. I'd be happy waiting till the May update, but I'm sure I can do better than 2133 :/

Probably Samsung E-die or even SK Hynix. In my case there was some truth in the common belief that if you use Samsung B-die based single sided memory, it will boot right up. Happened for me with the G. Skill 3600 CAS16 memory I have running now. Put it in and it just booted right up to 3200. I never could get the Corsair LPX or G. Skill 3200 memory to get past 2933.:bang head

Somehow missed that :)

It shouldn't change much what memory brand is used. If memory can make 3200 on Intel then it should make on AMD too. I mean if you have Hynix single rank modules which make 3200+ on Intel then on AMD it should work too. There are some exceptions with weird memory profiles but it depends more on used profiles than used IC. I have no problems with Micron IC but I had a chance to test only dual rank 16GB modules which simply won't run above 2666. I have no Hynix right now. Even last Kingston kit which is single rank has Micron IC but it won't even run at 3000 on Intel so I doubt that on AMD will be any better. My Ryzen is in the box anyway and for now I'm not sure what to do with it. I guess I will keep it for some time for reviews and later replace board to something ITX.

So where I ended up was with a 2 X 8GB kit of G. Skill TridentZ 3600 CL16. [F4-3600C16D-16GTZ] These are single rank and Samsung B-dies. Running them at 3200 Mhz at 14-14-14-34-75-1T with very good luck and stability. That is the highest memory strap the current BIOS allows and since we don't have a B-clock generator, no way to get them currently to spec. Hope the May update changes that. The only issue I have is with them is when I pull the power cord on the power supply to work on the system. The system then has to go through retraining to end up back at the BIOS. Just reload my saved CL14 profile and reboot and back to normal. Seems a lot of people have this removal of power loses memory settings problem. Never loses memory settings if just turned off as long as the power cord is left plugged in. Some speculation that the Prime doesn't have the Boot VDimm voltage setting like the Hero that mostly solves the issue on the Hero. Something was mentioned that the system tries to boot up at Jedec 1.2V which is insufficient for 1.35V memory when the power gets removed on a system. If I leave the memory at stock CL16 settings it doesn't lose the memory setting upon power removal.

My system is still running quite happily, not that I'm using it a huge amount at the moment. Waiting for Vega to keep it an all red system with competitive GPU before I decide if it might replace my current gaming system.

I'm unsure about my ram. It's a fussy pair of LPX 3000 and it works ok at DOCP 2666 but one time it did fail to boot and reset to 2133. No go any higher than that. Would it have hurt that much to put in some more ratios?

Back