• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any ASUS Prime X370 Pro owners out there ... besides me??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Up and running now on the Corsair 3200 CL16 single rank memory. Boy, that was easy. Rebooted after setting F5 on last shutdown to replace the G. Skill memory and it booted fine. Set DOCP profile for 3200 and it came right back up. No fuss, no drama. Reset everything I had set before for unneeded features and set the fan profiles. Use the TPU II setting to get the core clock to 3.825 Ghz and just like that I am up and running where I was before except at the much higher RAM frequency. Ran several sessions of P95 to make sure I didn't error and had to adjust the phase converters to Optimized to get it to pass P95 without error. Find that the socket temps have increased significantly though compared to the previous system with the G. Skill memory at 2400 Mhz. I changed LLC1 back to Auto and it made no difference in the socket temps. CPU temps still in the 78-82° C range as before when loaded and at the same Vcpu voltage of 1.35-1.38V. The Vsoc voltage is about 0.991 V or thereabouts.. I tried to use the offset feature for CPU, SoC and memory and increase them a few millivolts but that just flaked out the BIOS and put me back to defaults after resetting itself. I don't know whether I will attempt that again so soon since what I have achieved with minimal effort is working for me now. Things will probably change again once they publish an updated BIOS for the Prime X370.

Just a FYI. I found out the Corsair 3200 CL16 memory (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) uses SK Hynix dies. I had assumed that because it worked 1st time without fuss that it must be Samsung B-dies. Found out on the HwInFo Memory page and also in SIV's SPD Details page. So it appears some memory other than solely Samsung works well.

It doesn't matter what IC is there, what matters is module build. All single sided / single rank modules will run higher and it's described by AMD. 4x single rank will act similar to 2x dual rank.
Samsung B is the best but it's also in more expensive memory kits. New Hynix AFR/MFR is also single rank. Hynix is popular in Kingston, Corsair, Mushkin, Team Group and some other brands. G.skill has most new kits based on Samsung.
Maybe I will get one 2x16GB kit for tests but I guess it will be lower frequency memory.

Last edited:
I've found that the system isn't totally stable with the memory at 3200. It would run fine for 8-16 hours and then I would discover the cruncher at the login screen. This is on a distributed computing workload running 24/7 at 100% utilization. The mini-dump on the system crashes always pointed at memory management. So I backed the memory clock down to 2933 in the settings. That appears so far to have solved the system crashes for the time being. System has been up and running for a little over a day and a half now. Still running at 38 multiplier to get me to a shade under 3800 Mhz. I can live with slightly less RAM frequency if the system is stable. When I did the simple memory speed test in SIV, I didn't see any difference in the timings or MB/second scores between 3200 and 2933. Still using the default DOCP timings for the memory sticks. Not going to play anymore probably until ASUS ships out the new rumored AGESA updates. Probably won't see anything new for the Prime for at least a month after the CH6 people get their new BIOS'

New AGESA is out and some boards already got new BIOS ( but not X370-Pro ). For sure Gigabyte B350 got it but it doesn't change anything in AB350-Gaming 3.

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been searching all over the other forums to see if people are sharing their experiences with the same board but couldn't find much info.

I've ordered the board which will be in the build I should be receiving tomorrow.

I currently have an AM3+ 970A Gigabyte board and had high temps (over 100C) on the VRMs even with CPU undervolted and on stock clocks.

I'm really hoping I don't regret buying the Prime X370 Pro for the same reason. What are the VRM temps like on this motherboard after P95 stress test and can temps be monitored in HWinfo?

I'm glad I found this thread. I've been searching all over the other forums to see if people are sharing their experiences with the same board but couldn't find much info.

I've ordered the board which will be in the build I should be receiving tomorrow.

I currently have an AM3+ 970A Gigabyte board and had high temps (over 100C) on the VRMs even with CPU undervolted and on stock clocks.

I'm really hoping I don't regret buying the Prime X370 Pro for the same reason. What are the VRM temps like on this motherboard after P95 stress test and can temps be monitored in HWinfo?

Yes, my experience with a MSI 970 board was similar. High VRM temps and poor overclocking. I had to push 70mV more to my FX-8300 to get to 4 Ghz compared to the ASUS M5A99FX board which had cool VRM's and very good temps when overclocked. The power delivery on the ASUS board was of much higher quality than the MSI.

Same can be said for the Prime X370 Pro. Good power delivery and good enough overclocking. My PCH temps never seem too vary much. 50-52° C. My VRM temps are 32° C. at idle and 52° C when machine is fully loaded on all cores and all graphics cards are chugging away. Idle temps on the CPU are 32° C. and has been as high as 82° C when under full load. P95 stress temps never got as high as mine under my full load distributed computing real world work load. I think the highest the CPU got was 78° C. under P95 Blend for 4 hours. No, HwInFo doesn't show the VRM temps even with the latest beta. If you want to see the VRM temps and everything else under the sun, I recommend you download and use SIV (System Information Viewer). I work with the developer and he had the information on the Prime and the Ryzen months before HwInfo showed some of the new things.
SIV VRM.jpg

Just wanted to comment on my last post with the SIV image. The reason the CPU is not loaded is that SETI@Home has been out of work since before yesterday's maintenance and still hasn't come back online and I have run out of CPU tasks on all machines. The 1700X machine crunches through the CPU tasks twice as fast as the FX machines. I only do CPU work for SETI. The graphics cards have work on them between SETI, MilkyWay and Einstein. The GPU's currently have nothing but MilkyWay and Einstein tasks on them now because of no work availability from SETI still.

Thanks a lot Keith. You've posted a lot of information there that I was curious about but didn't ask for, that was a big help.

It's good to know that the VRMs on the Prime X370 will be better. I'll be sure to download the software that you mentioned to monitor the VRM temps and other stuff. Hopefully my build will be ready tomorrow so I can test everything out. I'll be sure to post back here with my experience with the new system.

My build will also have the 1700X in it, I can't wait to benchmark it. The program in your screenshot looks really good I like the layout of it, I might change to it from HWinfo.

Re, your second post: Ah right okay I get you. So that is one powerhouse of a processor, I won't have to upgrade for a very long time.

Yes, SIV has been my swiss army knife utility for over 5 years now at least. The only reason I ever look at HwInFo is for a sanity check or when Ray Hinchcliffe (the developer) asks for screen shots of what it is showing when I point out something in the SIV betas that I question. I just leave SIV up on the desktop permanently on autostart. It gives me an instant quick look for the system in general, and where the CPU and GPU utilization is since the crunchers are on 24/7 doing work. It even has menu links for BOINC which is my distributed computing manager. I use it to control the fans on the video cards and use it for AIO pump and fan control instead of the buggy and bloated Corsair Link.

Give it a look and I think you will become a happy user like me.

Thanks Keith. I'm definitely going to look into using SIV as my permanent temp monitoring software. That's some nice features that you mentioned the software has, like an all in one utility. Can't wait for tomorrow :)

Let us know in this thread how you progress on your build. More datapoints are all the better.

Has anyone gotten WOL working with this board? I tried to set it up, both the PCI/pcie setting in APM are on, as well as the nic settings in Windows, but it is still not functioning...

Don't know. Never have needed to use that feature. I always turn that off in the BIOS. With so little group participation with this motherboard, maybe the better place to ask is over on the ROG Crosshair VI Hero threads. Probably 50 times more people have that board and at least both boards are ASUS and I would assume the BIOS' have similar root structure.

I use that feature all the time :/

Got a VPN server running on my router, and tightvnc launches as a service. Makes remotely getting a file I forgot to put in a cloud synced folder easy (read school stuff). Hate leaving my machine on 24/7.

Just VPN into my network, WOL from the router itself (or my SSH enabled Pi2), then tightvnc, move the school file to Google drive, or Dropbox.

You do a lot more with your computer than I do

I use that feature all the time :/

Got a VPN server running on my router, and tightvnc launches as a service. Makes remotely getting a file I forgot to put in a cloud synced folder easy (read school stuff). Hate leaving my machine on 24/7.

Just VPN into my network, WOL from the router itself (or my SSH enabled Pi2), then tightvnc, move the school file to Google drive, or Dropbox.

You do a lot more with your computer than I do. I just let them run all the time crunching, and browse the web and email and such on my daily driver. No need to pull files remotely. I'm always here.

I've been watching this thread since the beginning Keith but I'm still waiting for the Zen 5 1600x release to pick up either the Prime X370 Pro or the Asrock X370 Killer SLI. I wont have the rig very long as it's for a friends build but if I do pick up the ASUS I'll post what ever results I come across.

I've been watching this thread since the beginning Keith but I'm still waiting for the Zen 5 1600x release to pick up either the Prime X370 Pro or the Asrock X370 Killer SLI. I wont have the rig very long as it's for a friends build but if I do pick up the ASUS I'll post what ever results I come across.
Stop creepin on us blay! When you picking up a Zen for yourself? It's a huge upgrade from the Fax's :D

Edit to say: FAX = FX.... Autocorrect doesn't even like the FX series!

Last edited:
LOL

I do still game on an FX4xxx i do sadly admit but I also have my i7-4790k on the ASRock Z97 OC Formula for benching I could game on if I ever play a game that the FX is unable to handle. There just isn't enough improvement from the 4790k to justify the purchase of a ZEN for me ATM.

Back