• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some help please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zlppo

Hello guys, I'm new to the forum, not sure if this would be the right place to post. If not let me know, and I'll remove it.

Soo, with the release of Mass Effect; Andromeda, I want a bit of a bump in performance. As the trial run was a little lacklustre, as in fps and smoothness.

I want to OC my GPU, and CPU too. So far I've been trying to just do it with MSI afterburner, with not too much luck.
My problem is, every time change the Core Clock and Memory Clock and press apply, all the stats reset to default.
I've tried all the 'solutions' I could find googling my way around. Non have worked so far.

I have MSI Afterburner, and AI Suite 3. Not sure if those 2 are maybe counteract each other or cancel each other out.

My spec's are as follows:

GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 390 Strix - 8GB GDDR5

Processor: Intel (R) core (TM) i5-6600k CPU @ 3.50GHz

RAM: 2 Fury DDR4 Memory – 4GB,, so 8GB

PSU: Corsair CX750M - 750W

Motherboard: ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING

Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated!

PS. If there are any posts identical to this one, please point me in that direction as I haven't look too much around,, Thank you!:D

I have MSI Afterburner, and AI Suite 3. Not sure if those 2 are maybe counteract each other or cancel each other out.
Could be, but I can run Wattman and MSI Afterburner together with no problems for example. But try overclocking only in 1 app for the start.

Does your driver crash when reverting to default settings?

Could be, but I can run Wattman and MSI Afterburner together with no problems for example. But try overclocking only in 1 app for the start.

Does your driver crash when reverting to default settings?

Nothing crashes, and nothing changes, the stats don't even increase. When I slide the bar higher, I can see the value increase on the 'slide?*' but not on the graphs in the right side. Then I press apply, and the value goes all the way back.

AI is not interfering right now? Latest drivers / afterburner version? Can you post a screenshot? What does CPU-Z say?

edit: to clarify does the value on the slider stay? Because when not under load the graphs won't show the overclocked values as the card only boosts to these settings under load.

Last edited:
AI is not interfering right now? Latest drivers / afterburner version? Can you post a screenshot? What does CPU-Z say?

edit: to clarify does the value on the slider stay? Because when not under load the graphs won't show the overclocked values as the card only boosts to these settings under load.

No, the sliders don't stay, everything goes back to the right.

I'm totally new to OC, and partially new to PC's in general so idk about a lot of this stuff. But I downloaded CPU-Z and took some screens.

Oh sorry, I meant GPU z as I'm focussed on the graphics currently. What values are you trying to enter via the slider? Try adding +5 Mhz?. I'm honestly not quite sure why you shouldn't be able to alter the settings.

Ive tried adding it just by 1, ive tried by adding 10 and 100 etc etc... all go back down.

BD46D3r.jpg
s8Lr124.jpg

Last edited:
Zippo please use the in forum attachment tool for screen shots. Do you have AMD overdrive installed? This may be conflicting Msi afterburner.
Capture.PNG

Zippo please use the in forum attachment tool for screen shots. Do you have AMD overdrive installed? This may be conflicting Msi afterburner.
View attachment 189279

I changed it. Sorry I didn't know that was an option thanks! :D

Nope, I don't have it installed. Only Radeon Settings, which you can see in the Screen caps.

Just to let you know why we like to have the pics hosted to the site. If someone ever comes and needs help with the same issue as you (hopefully well solve it) and your pictures are no longer then it really doesn't help them. Ok now back to the issue, I haven't had a newer AMD gpu, my last was a Ati radeon 5850 :D I imagine the AMD radeon settings software is likely the culprit. If there is the ability to Oc the Gpu using it I'd bet it is keeping you from being able to use Afterburner.

I'm honestly out of ideas. Try uninstalling all drivers, overclocking software (AI, overdrive, afterburner). Reinstall latest drivers (do the drivers come with an overclocking utility? My wattman seems to part of the drivers). Check if you yet have any options to overclock. If yes try and OC. If no, install after burner again. Don't forget the restarts in between. If that doesn't work uninstall after burner and try overclocking with the AMD tool (overdrive?). Is there a BIOS switch or something for ultra silent mode that may prevent overclocking?

As a reminder: +100 Mhz is way to high without voltage increase. You have to multiply the clock by 2 in the slider and from what I read when googling 1250 Mhz is unlikely without at least a slight increase in voltage. However this is actually weird, when I googled from afterburner screenshots from a 390 some displayed half the clock speed, some displayed 1050 Mhz instead of 525 Mhz.

It seems like the GPU Tab in CPU Z displays only the current clock. I don't think it will help the issue, but I'm just curious: GPU Z

Someone else any ideas? :confused:

I'm honestly out of ideas. Try uninstalling all drivers, overclocking software (AI, overdrive, afterburner). Reinstall latest drivers (do the drivers come with an overclocking utility? My wattman seems to part of the drivers). Check if you yet have any options to overclock. If yes try and OC. If no, install after burner again. Don't forget the restarts in between. If that doesn't work uninstall after burner and try overclocking with the AMD tool (overdrive?). Is there a BIOS switch or something for ultra silent mode that may prevent overclocking?

As a reminder: +100 Mhz is way to high without voltage increase. You have to multiply the clock by 2 in the slider and from what I read when googling 1250 Mhz is unlikely without at least a slight increase in voltage. However this is actually weird, when I googled from afterburner screenshots from a 390 some displayed half the clock speed, some displayed 1050 Mhz instead of 525 Mhz.

It seems like the GPU Tab in CPU Z displays only the current clock. I don't think it will help the issue, but I'm just curious: GPU Z

Someone else any ideas? :confused:

I tried everything. un-installing and re-installing, both drivers and programs. All to no avail. I spent the whole day, trying to figure it out. With no luck. So I said f*** it, and bought a new GPU.

But thank you so much so the effort, it's appreciated!

Oh okay. You could have tested the GPU on another system before deciding it's a hardware issue.

What GPU did you go for?

Oh okay. You could have tested the GPU on another system before deciding it's a hardware issue.

What GPU did you go for?

I don't have a second PC around here. And really can't be bothered to do it. This whole experience kind of pissed me off :/

I went with a Gainward GeForce GTX 1080 Phoenix - 8GB. Should be a decent upgrade! So I'm excited :D

Back