• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AgustinusAlvinW

hi everyone!
can someone pls tell me how to overclock my processor.. im currently using stock cooler, 12GB of RAM, 550W Power Supply, RX 480 GPU..
i was looking for 4,4 / 4,5 GHz if possible..
and also tell me the settings for bios, like amd cool & quiet, hpc mode, c6, cpu unlock, etc (much more).... which one i need to enabled, and which one need to disabled?

Before we can help you please give a proper list of your system. 12 gig ram ? 550w Power supply? If you are trying to OC with your stock cooler you may as well stop now it will not be suitable for any overclocking.

4x4GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (one ram dead, so its 12GB now, not 16GB)
Corsair CX550M 550W Power Supply

By running 3 sticks / 12 gigs you realize you are only running in single channel with your memory. I would pull 1 stick and let your system run in dual channel. To start download CPUZ and HWMonitor, free versions well as prime 95. Open CPUZ showing Main, Memory and SPD tabs .... yes you can open multiple CPUZ windows to show all three as well as HWMonitor and run prime blend for 20 min to show system temps. Please post the screen shot when that's completed.

EDIT >>>>>>>

Just saw this thread where another user is overclocking and almost identical system ..... check it out ...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/742430-GA-970A-D3P-w-FX8350-Overclocking-Guide

Also here is a good guide to help you get started ......

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ormance-Scaling-Charts-max-OCs)LN2-Results-co

Last edited:
Besides the stock cooler issue we need more information about your hardware:

1. Make and model of your motherboard

2. Make and model of your case and information about fans and airflow. How many intake and how many exhaust fans? Cooling and good air flow are critical to overclocking the FX CPUs.

3. Make and model of your video card. We assume you are only running one video card.

4. Frequency of the Corsair RAM you mentioned. You only tell us the amount and that one is dead. By the way, take one of the three remaining ones out and leave just two in slots 1 and 3 so you can be running in dual channel again.

Download and install a free program called CPU-z. Post back with pics attached of these these four tabs: CPU, Motherboard, Memory and SPD.

To attach pics, first crop and save the images with Windows Snipping Tool. Then use the Go Advanced button at the lower right corner of any new post window to locate and attach the images. That will tell us much of what we need to know about your hardware and bios settings.

i dont know if i using 3 sticks it will make my system run as single channel.. ok i will pull another one.. thanks :) really newbie here

- - - Updated - - -

1. Gigabyte GA-970A-D3P

2. Enlight EN-4119

3. Sapphire Nitro+ RX 480 8GB GDDR5

4. Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 2-4GB DDR3 1600 UDIMM 1.5V CL8

Do you really need 16g of Ram or even 12 g for that matter? Reality is, you're going to need to get a quality after market heatsink if you plan on getting any overclock for that setup. That said you will likely not be able to push very far without the motherboard throttling the powerback to save it's own life. That board isn't really made to overclock the Fx 8xxx chips. You may get a slight Oc like 4.3 maybe 4.4 but I'd be surprised if you'd get anymore from that board without some creative cooling on the Vrm.

As Mandrake said, the motherboard is not up to the task. Anything less than say the Asus Sabertooth is not recommended for overclocking the FX eight core CPUs. Those chips draw so much power that you have to have a motherboard with very sturdy power producing/power managing components (Voltage Reguation Module or "VRM"). And they aren't cheap.

Back