• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600k to 7700k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bossman150

Would it be worth the upgrade to go from a i-5 6600k to an i-7 7700k on a z170 chipset for gaming at 4k? I just upgraded to the 1080 Ti, just want to know if it would be worth the hassle to upgrade/flash the bios. I have the 6600k running @4.4 and would hope for 4.9-5 if I switched to the 7700k. This is a gaming rig, I bench for fun but games and keeping it future proof are my biggest concerns.

All things being equal with regard to the silicon lottery, a Z170 board may not overclock a Kaby Lake CPU as well as a Z270 motherboard since it isn't opimized for Kaby Lake. Typically, the Kaby Lake "k" CPUs will overclock about .2 ghz higher than their Skylake counterparts when the Kaby is used on a Z270 board. At any rate, you are not talking about enough difference to justify the expense IMO.

Say, how do you like your Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD. I've got one of those laying around.

For me the difference in games just isnt worth the cost you are talking 2-5 fps in most games probably less @ 4k . heck for me it isnt worth the cost to go from my haswell to a Kabby (5-10fps).

Hyperthreading might help some on new titles but you won't see a massive gain. Plus using the z170 will probably not help matters.

Also the 7700k TIM seems to be worse than the 6xxx series. So temps will become a bigger issues from my experience.

I would wait. By the time you would feel any type of difference there will be much more powerful chips to pick from.

Thanks guys, I will hold off then.

All things being equal with regard to the silicon lottery, a Z170 board may not overclock a Kaby Lake CPU as well as a Z270 motherboard since it isn't opimized for Kaby Lake. Typically, the Kaby Lake "k" CPUs will overclock about .2 ghz higher than their Skylake counterparts when the Kaby is used on a Z270 board. At any rate, you are not talking about enough difference to justify the expense IMO.

Say, how do you like your Mushkin Reactor 1TB SSD. I've got one of those laying around.

I like it, I have had it for about 18 months or so and I have had no issues. The SSDs don't seem to work as well in Windows 10 as they did in Windows 7 though, but I think that is just a Windows issue and not the SSD.

Check and make sure "trim" is enabled in Windows 10 for the SSD or it will fail prematurely. Early on, it was not enabled by default in Windows 10. I think recent updates have changed that but I would make sure nonetheless.

You are doing fine with the i5 6600k. Mine is clocked to 4.5GHz and the FPS is 144 in BF1, gears of war-4 is 160 FPS.

I just did this exact upgrade and am happy with the performance of the 7700k. I had my 6600k at a stable 4.7ghz but was utilizing nearly 100% CPU in recent game titles. Now that I have upgraded to the Predator X34 and a 1080ti the higher frame rate needs a good CPU to back it up. I am however disappointed with the overclock ability of my Asus Maximus VIII z170 with my 7700. As stated above the z170 board will work but not exactly optimized for the 7th gen processors. When I run the 5 way optimization it only bumps my base clock to 46...only .1 MHz over stock. Might need to look into a new board 😒

Worth it... my favorite question which has nkthing to do with us...lol!

If you can use more threads, sure, why not. ;)

@ kenny - overclock it manually.

Lol...My wife says the same thing...Do you really need that Ulta wide monitor, that 1080ti, that 1 TB M.2 SSD, that fill in the blank... Nope, but I'm gonna get it cause I want to and can

I got 5GHz on my Z170 board with 7700K just by clicking on the "Overclock i7-7700K to 5.0GHz" button. Running an Evo 212 and max temps while gaming is 70c. Pretty happy with that.

That is great what motherboard do you have?:)

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5. Got it in a trade and it has sat for a couple of months. This will be my new system, replacing my GA-x79-UD3 & E5-1650 @ 4.2GHz.
I had to borrow my son's 6700K to flash the BIOS before it would see the 7700K. After that it was smooth sailing. :D

Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5. Got it in a trade and it has sat for a couple of months. This will be my new system, replacing my GA-x79-UD3 & E5-1650 @ 4.2GHz.
I had to borrow my son's 6700K to flash the BIOS before it would see the 7700K. After that it was smooth sailing. :D

That is great. I have a Gigabyte Z170 with i5 6600k that I would like to upgrade to a i7 7700k if it goes on sale.

Back