• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6600k to 7700k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For what it is worth I went from a 3570k at 4.5 GHZ to a 7600k at 4.8 GHZ and I only gained 2.5 FPS in Heaven Benchmark at 1440p using the same GPU. That also included upgrading the RAM from 8 GB 1600 MHZ to 16 GB 2400 MHZ as well as a new mobo upgrade. Needless to say, my upgrade was far more substantial than yours will be and still my gains were small.

1. Heaven? Try some games. Some will see minor gains, others wont.
2. 2.5 fps of....30? 60? 100? Need a scale...suggest mentioning % too. :)

The biggest gain you will see is in smoothness. Measure frame time before and after the upgrade. I know that with my 7700k it makes a huge difference in MWO with a lot going on from when I had my X5660 @4.4GHz or my E5-1650 at 4.2GHz. No stutter or lag. GTX 1080 Ti is on it's way. I am done upgrading for a few years. :D

1. Heaven? Try some games. Some will see minor gains, others wont.
2. 2.5 fps of....30? 60? 100? Need a scale...suggest mentioning % too. :)
I went from 41.6 to 43.9 FPS at QHD 1440P with all max settings and DX11. Also, in that test I added +500 MHZ to the RAM on the GPU, so it's possible the CPU dident actually have any effect whatsoever. Also, a game for testing would be pointless because I would need to see the exact same things come across the screen for the same duration and in the exact same manner between the tests in order to have an apples to apples comparison. That's why benchmarks exist--they are always the same.

Some games have integrated benchmarks bud...

Not to mention you are testing at a gpu bound resolution...i wouldnt have expected much difference anyway, at least with a 1070.

Hi. I just did the 6600k to 7700k upgrade on the asus sabertooth Z170 S motherboard. I have a stable clock at 5.2Ghz!! Temperature while gaming is About 40 Celcius (watercooling). My cpu score in time spy is 6175 point running at 5.2Ghz. BUT my brother gets the same score at only 5Ghz on his Z270 motherboard! I guess thats the difference between the Z170 and Z270.

Hi. I just did the 6600k to 7700k upgrade on the asus sabertooth Z170 S motherboard. I have a stable clock at 5.2Ghz!! Temperature while gaming is About 40 Celcius (watercooling). My cpu score in time spy is 6175 point running at 5.2Ghz. BUT my brother gets the same score at only 5Ghz on his Z270 motherboard! I guess thats the difference between the Z170 and Z270.

Your i7 7700k might be throttling check the temperature when running time spy.

Last edited:
I get that... but if its 40c in games, its not 60c warmer in anything else...

Extrapolate a bit....

This is exactly what I was thinking, thanks for the article.

I didn't realize the issue with the Z170 and not being optimised for the 7700k.

Not sure if this would be worth it to me.

This is exactly what I was thinking, thanks for the article.

I didn't realize the issue with the Z170 and not being optimised for the 7700k.

Not sure if this would be worth it to me.

Had my Z170 _ 7700K for almost a year. Zero issues.

Did you move up from a 6600k? Do you think that it's worth it? I just want to future proof it, at least for a year or so, I have too much money into system in last couple of years, or at least in the wifes mind...LOL

Did you move up from a 6600k? Do you think that it's worth it? I just want to future proof it, at least for a year or so, I have too much money into system in last couple of years, or at least in the wifes mind...LOL

No I did not move up from a 6600K. I had an E5-1650 that ran pretty well. Honestly in gaming the price was not worth the upgrade even with a GTX 1080 Ti. I had the Z170 motherboard then found the 7700K for a good price and took a chance. No wife here... ;)

Well if I could get the 5.0 overclock, then I will probably do it.

I can always upgrade the board after that, but all the work in bending the hard tubing sucks...

Thanks for the replies!

I upgraded my 6600k to 7600k on a Z170 without any trouble, the motherboard will need the latest BIOS before the upgrade or it won't boot. I just help a person that has ASRock Z170 with i7 7700k and he downgraded the BIOS and it would not boot, so he needed a new BIOS chip since there was not a sky lake processor to use for a BIOS upgrade again.

Last edited:
This thread was from July of 2017... when are you going to make the jump?

Always get the best you can afford... Today, I would hands down go 7700K over 7600K or 6600K. You may not feel it now, but those extra threads help (now) and will help down the road even more.

Time to go buy it...

Back