• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Help with Fan Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

john6969

I bought a computer 2 years ago and never used it because it was to load. So I bought a new case and noticed that the Motherboard I have are 4 pin pwr while all of the fans are 3 pin power.

So someone please help me understand how this works and how to fix this.

My cpu coller is 4 pin and I can control that but not the 3 pins is there an adapter

Line up the tab on the motherboard with the groove one the fan connector. 3pin fans will work on 4pin headers and 4 pin fans will work on 3 pin headers. If you hook a PWM fan (4 pin) to a 3 pin header you wont be able to control the speed of the fan but it will run at full speed all the time. Good luck :)

Edit: I see from your title you might want to control the fan speed. In that case there are a couple options. There is something cakked the 7v mod which will lower the max speed of your fans by switching a couple fab wires. You can also purchase a low noise adapter. It is basically a fan extension cord with an inline resistor that causes your fan to get less voltage/turn slower. Or you can get PWM fans, but that's no fun :)

Last edited:
I thought about that but seems like all the fans that I want are 3 pin (Corsair SP Series, SP120 RGB) I am stuck with this motherboard because I have 6 core LGA2011 socket type loaded with 64 gig of DDR3 (DAM)

Wish I knew detail before I bought this computer.
Note. I am not a gamer this is stickly for work I use VMs

Does anybody know about this case Phanteks Eclipse P400S and controlling fans

A drive bay fan controller is the best option. The in-line resistor solution is not adjustable and in my experience they often don't last long and you are back to full speed and noise.

Back