• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First water cooling build!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R_Pierce

My long awaited package arrived today from EK! This will all be going in my current Phanteks Enthoo Pro tower. Im now just waiting on EVGA's step up program to get my 1080ti.

This will be my first water cooled custom loop build, so I might need some advice along the way from you fellas here!!

IMG_20170320_152712.jpg IMG_20170320_152731.jpg IMG_20170320_152737.jpg IMG_20170320_152741.jpg

Thanks! Will do! I kind of wish I would have went with hard tubing now after seeing some of your guys builds. I guess I can always upgrade that later on.

Hard tubing adds lots of 'issues' Best to play with it, learn as you go. Lots of weird things you don't know yet, so just take your time, ready the YELLOW stickies on others first build and have fun. Take your time. A weekend + a day is perfect.

In my opinion they are more of a cool factor than an actual need. Just makes it easy to see water temps for benching or finding your Delta T on the fly etc.

They are by no means required though

That depends. If you want a curve based profile for your fans and or pumps, I would advise with the water temp or a delta-T between the water and air used for a gradual change. I use water temps as opposed to hardware temps which most use. I think it's nuts and annoying to hear your fans/pumps constantly ramping up like rabid dogs. Of course all of this would only work if you have a MB with headers for temp probes on it as I've seen on a newer board or a 3rd party controller.

That depends. If you want a curve based profile for your fans and or pumps, I would advise with the water temp or a delta-T between the water and air used for a gradual change. I use water temps as opposed to hardware temps which most use. I think it's nuts and annoying to hear your fans/pumps constantly ramping up like rabid dogs. Of course all of this would only work if you have a MB with headers for temp probes on it as I've seen on a newer board or a 3rd party controller.
Thank you sir! My new Mobo actually does have two temp sensor headers. Can you recommend me two temp probes and also where you would generally install them in the loop?

I use two water temp sensors on the top rad. Doesn't really matter where you place it since the loop's water temp will reach a equilibrium after 30 mins or so.

Some of the sensors you should look for are from Aquacomputer, Phobya and Bitspower.

In your case, I might either go with a single air and water temp or both water but that's up to you since I'm not familiar with the implementation and function of the software and or BIOS along with the other headers on the board. If you are able to take the average of both temps, I'd go both water. If you're able to create a delta between the two headers, I'd go air and water.

I use two water temp sensors on the top rad. Doesn't really matter where you place it since the loop's water temp will reach a equilibrium after 30 mins or so.

Some of the sensors you should look for are from Aquacomputer, Phobya and Bitspower.

In your case, I might either go with a single air and water temp or both water but that's up to you since I'm not familiar with the implementation and function of the software and or BIOS along with the other headers on the board. If you are able to take the average of both temps, I'd go both water. If you're able to create a delta between the two headers, I'd go air and water.
I'll check into that. The board isn't here yet but I'll search around and see what I can find. It's an Asus ROG Formula IX board.

I know they market it as having input and output water temp sensor headers. But I'll see what I can dig up here.

Alright, ordered two inline temp sensors from Phobya. Cant wait to get the new graphics card in and get to work on this thing!

Back