• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling for XEON x5650 on Asus P6T Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lazyedit

Hi all,

I hope that you can help me!

I have a six/7 year old Asus P6T deluxe origionally I started with an i7920 and recently upgraded to a Xeon 5650 - excellent improvement. I have an Artic Freezer 7 rev 2 and have manged to overclock it to 4ghz, however I am not happy with the temps reaching 86c and potentially further, when rendering/load. I have a Haf922 case. I want a cooling solution, that is going to keep the chip cooler ( say 72c max) and be able to run at 4ghz all the time. I am thinking hi100, but want to ensure it fits this motherboard and case, without issues. Please advise?

Many thanks

Andrew

According to this link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1144409/...compatibility-thread-page-1-for-full-listings it will fit in the top with "minor modding." See also: http://www.overclock.net/t/612436/official-corsair-hydro-series-club/19900#post_16137952

I think the "minor modding" amounted to drilling some extra screw mounting holes. It might also depend on the configuration of the hardware mounted at the top edge of the motherboard.

Nice that looks easy enough to do. Thanks for the speedy reply. Do you think I will have any problems with the motherboard?

2nd question is the h100 overkill of could I achieve a stable 4ghz with something else (that will fit P6T deluxe)

Thanks

Andrew

No, the cooler won't be overkill. I was actually thinking I hope your results meet your expectations. People tend to make assumptions about the effectiveness of water cooling in lowering temps. It's not magic. An h100i will only give you a little better cooling than a top notch air cooler like the Noctua DH15. Maybe 2-4c.

Thanks for your replies. I render pretty much 24/7 so 100% load most of the time.The artic 7 has done a great job of keeping the chip at 3.8. It has been stable for two months now and temps stay below 80. But it is spring... when it hits summer time my conservatory will get hot and I foresee it not being able to cope. The noctua was my second choice and is considerably cheaper ... at least in the UK it is. I am just a bit worried about the weight as I move my PC around quite frequently.

Under those conditions I would make sure you plenty of good ventilation from well-chosen, well-placed and capable case "cabinent" fans. The problem with water cooling is that you tend to get dead spots of air movement in the socket area and the VRM can get pretty hot. I'd be more worried about harming the motherboard than the CPU. CPUs are rugged and hard to hurt. Motherboards are not.

Back