• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sorting out the currently available CPUs for Z170/LGA 1151

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
CPU Peeps! Need a little help..

I have a i7-6700k in my FatherTime rig (sig) and I got it pretty soon after skylake launch...

It is probably me, but I don't get much joy out of this CPU:( It is very temperamental and seems I need a high VCORE to get it to do anything significant 48x+. I am running it on a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 mobo. I have a lot more fun with my i7-4790k. I realize that the 6700k could just be an OC dud....

EDIT:
This sub I got 50, but only good enough to get the CPUID and screen shot. It was a race. No way I could run anything.Notice VCORE 1.596
http://hwbot.org/submission/3217266_swarthack_cpu_frequency_core_i7_6700k_5000_mhz

I was perusing some options and seems there are many more processors now, or I had tunnel vision on the 6700k.

Either way what say you? I was looking at the i7-5820K:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5820K-FCLGA2011-3-Processor-BX80648I75820K/dp/B00MMLXIKY

or the i7-7700k
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXSI216/

Either of these would work on my Gigabyte mobo? I get confused about the LGA numbers. Its 1151 for skylake, right??

I also don't require the FASTEST cpu. And I've heard some of the i5's are really nice for overclocking. I wouldn't mind an i5 to play with and for points...

Feedback/Comments/Disparagement Please!!!

Thanks!

Cheers!

The 5820k is LGA2011-3 so that one is a no go for sure. You need a LGA 1151 CPU like the 7700k you listed.
Here's a list of the compatable LGA 1151 CPU's for your Mobo (and their names).

Kool, Thanks B.!!! That helps some

So any recommends anyone?
Which ones bring fame and glory!:clap::cool:

And is there a methodology, a technique per se... a procedure even...
to tell if your CPU is a DUD???
Besides comparisons with other subs...

Appreciate all feedback...

Salud

Can't tell which CPU is good till you actually test it. On cold some chips are acting different so also chip which is good for ambient temps is not always good for cold.
7700K seems like the best idea considering it's easy to OC but I wouldn't expect much more on ambient temps than you can make on your 6700K. Maybe 5GHz and up to 5.1-5.2GHz for quick tests. Delidding is recommended for benching but not required.
Setting high voltages on ambient temps can cause CPU degradation. Never set more than ~1.5V on air/water on these chips or you will see that OC will be worse in time ( that depends on chip, sometimes it takes couple of hours, sometimes days/months ).
I'm never using higher voltages for longer on CPUs which are good and I'm never testing stability in long hour Prime95 etc. Usually it's like 4.2GHz ~1.1-1.25V for 24/7 and higher voltages only on cold. I had too many bad experiences with some chips and if I don't need it then I'm not setting too high voltages.

Last edited:
Checkout siliconlottery.com if you want to make sure you get a good chip.

Getting 4.8 on a Skylake is about as good as it gets on air or water. They weren't particularly good overclockers.

Checkout siliconlottery.com if you want to make sure you get a good chip.

Getting 4.8 on a Skylake is about as good as it gets on air or water. They weren't particularly good overclockers.

with KL is it really the Chip or the ihs mount that stops some ppl from hitting 5? I guess my question is there less variance in the oc after delid ?

Delidding will not have much or any affect on the voltage needed to achieve a certain overclock. It only helps if high temps is the limiting factor in the overclock. But some people still do it just to get a cooler running chip even when their temps are in the safe range.

CPU Peeps! Need a little help..

I have a i7-6700k in my FatherTime rig (sig) and I got it pretty soon after skylake launch...

It is probably me, but I don't get much joy out of this CPU:( It is very temperamental and seems I need a high VCORE to get it to do anything significant 48x+. I am running it on a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 7 mobo. I have a lot more fun with my i7-4790k. I realize that the 6700k could just be an OC dud....

EDIT:
This sub I got 50, but only good enough to get the CPUID and screen shot. It was a race. No way I could run anything.Notice VCORE 1.596
http://hwbot.org/submission/3217266_swarthack_cpu_frequency_core_i7_6700k_5000_mhz

I was perusing some options and seems there are many more processors now, or I had tunnel vision on the 6700k.

Either way what say you? I was looking at the i7-5820K:
https://www.amazon.com/Intel-i7-5820K-FCLGA2011-3-Processor-BX80648I75820K/dp/B00MMLXIKY

or the i7-7700k
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXSI216/

Either of these would work on my Gigabyte mobo? I get confused about the LGA numbers. Its 1151 for skylake, right??

I also don't require the FASTEST cpu. And I've heard some of the i5's are really nice for overclocking. I wouldn't mind an i5 to play with and for points...

Feedback/Comments/Disparagement Please!!!

Thanks!

Cheers!

If you are able to get 4.8ghz on 6700k there is basically no reason to upgrade. Yes you might get another 200-300 MHZ tops, but there was practically no IPC improvements between skylake and kaby and on top of that the 200-300mhz (if you get a lucky silicon lottery chip) will be unnoticeable in anything outside of benchmarks.

You are basically throwing 300 bucks at a 4% or less improvement for benchmarks. That is assuming you even get a good enough 7700k to hit those clocks.

If you want to do something different that 2011-3 chip might be more fun. They overclock pretty well and you gain 2 more cores for multitasking. The problem is cost on those motherboards isn't cheap.

For upgrade sake though I would just sit with what you have and wait until the Kaby-X information starts to be released.

- - - Updated - - -

Delidding will not have much or any affect on the voltage needed to achieve a certain overclock. It only helps if high temps is the limiting factor in the overclock. But some people still do it just to get a cooler running chip even when their temps are in the safe range.

I was one of those that did it to get temps down. At stock clocks I was safe, but overclocking quickly pushed it over the edge. After delid I saw a 25-30c Drop across the board and was able to hit 5ghz at temps lower than my stock clock could pull before delid.

If you are able to get 4.8ghz on 6700k there is basically no reason to upgrade. Yes you might get another 200-300 MHZ tops, but there was practically no IPC improvements between skylake and kaby and on top of that the 200-300mhz (if you get a lucky silicon lottery chip) will be unnoticeable in anything outside of benchmarks.

You are basically throwing 300 bucks at a 4% or less improvement for benchmarks. That is assuming you even get a good enough 7700k to hit those clocks.

If you want to do something different that 2011-3 chip might be more fun. They overclock pretty well and you gain 2 more cores for multitasking. The problem is cost on those motherboards isn't cheap.

For upgrade sake though I would just sit with what you have and wait until the Kaby-X information starts to be released.

Yup. I checked out the prices at https://siliconlottery.com/collections/lga-1151 $300 would be a bargain for the i7 chips there. ($370 for a 5 GHz 7700k).

After delid I saw a 25-30c Drop across the board and was able to hit 5ghz at temps lower than my stock clock could pull before delid.
Nice!

25-30c... wow... something else was clearly up if it dropped that much. Typical drops with empirical testing to support it, find around a 10c drop give or take a few C.

Anyway...7700K will get you to 5 ghz... a couple hundred more mhz..but that's about it. As far as fame, etc... what are your goals? You want to wreck modern(ish) 3d? Get a 5960x... something with about ton of cores that clock high. An6thijg from 06 to FS respond to many cores.

25-30c... wow... something else was clearly up if it dropped that much. Typical drops with empirical testing to support it, find around a 10c drop give or take a few C.

Anyway...7700K will get you to 5 ghz... a couple hundred more mhz..but that's about it. As far as fame, etc... what are your goals? You want to wreck modern(ish) 3d? Get a 5960x... something with about ton of cores that clock high. An6thijg from 06 to FS respond to many cores.

Most of the 7700k test I have seen show a 15+ C drop at the min after delid. Assuming the person uses liquid ultra that is. As for me I am sure mine was a little more extreme than others as I noticed big air pockets / Gaps in the TIM intel had between die and IHS.. Heck I had one core that was about 12C higher than the rest.. now they are all within about 2-3C of each other.

- - - Updated - - -

I was one of those that did it to get temps down. At stock clocks I was safe, but overclocking quickly pushed it over the edge. After delid I saw a 25-30c Drop across the board and was able to hit 5ghz at temps lower than my stock clock could pull before delid.

I was referring to safe temps after overclocking which would be anything under 90c when loaded. Of course, that whole equation will also be dependent on the cooling solution being used.

Special thanks to Woomack for chiming in with some sage information. And of course to everyone else for the informative discussion and advice. Much Appreciated!
At this point not doing anything. I don't get the silicon lottery. How can they possibly bin everyone 24 hours?:shrug:
I don't know what thier volume is, but ...Sounds like an OC sweat shop somewhere with little kids binning chips.
Are these guys Fare Trade, have they been checked out:sly:

And the whole delid thing was not clear to me when I got the chip. Read some posts, etc.
and figured it didn't really apply to this goob at this time in his OC career cause.
Is it to late to do/try it?

Thanks again everyone!

Cheers

I would guess they bin by doing a leak test. Im fairly positive they don't have someone manually OCing every chip. If so where do I apply? (Na-Mean!) And they probably do a whole sheet at a time.

I don't think it's ever to late for a delid, but the bigger question is how much headroom would you gain and is it worth the risk to you?

Last edited:
They put it through 1 hour... not 24. :)

I'd imagine it's manual testing as well. Start high and drop em down. There's only 3 bins they test for right? I bet out of the gate it's slower, but as time goes on, you know about how many will fall into each range. I bet a few dozen can be done each day.

They put it through 1 hour... not 24. :)

Bwah har har, don't know where I came up with 24. I had just looked at the website:confused:
Still would like to know what kinda volume. obviously cyclic with releases...

Blaylock said:
I would guess the bin buy doing a leak test. Im fairly positive they don't have someone manually OCing every chip. If so where do I apply? (Na-Mean!) And they probably do a whole sheet at a time. I don't think it's ever to late for a delid, but the bigger question is how much headroom would you gain and is it worth the risk to you?

Careful what you wish for unless you want to relocate to Taiwan :shock: I bet right now there are a bunch of bedraggled refuges somewhere who lost their basketball shoe making jobs...

per siliconlottery.com
Each processor has passed an hour of the RealBench stress test at the suggested settings.

Maybe some cool robot set-up??

Risk? Well as stated, not a big advocate of this chip... somethings are meant to fry...
Anyhoo, can't do anything until I get the rig back up, per my current thread in hardware. Funny how they coincided so nicely, something/one trying to tell me something....
I think its an Overclocktagon conspiracy to get me out of the game!!!:cool:

Tot Ziens

I'd guess it's manual... perhaps some scripting (failed at x speed with x volts, reboot, raise voltage, try again). But I don't think much is automated.

We can always ask...

Wow.. asked when I posted the thread and responded in no time at all!

It's a manual process. We place chips in motherboards and run an hour of realbench, it's a simple pass/fail scenario. We start testing all chips at the top bin and work our way down from there.

Feel free to ask any other questions,
Silicon Lottery

Last edited:
Back