• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Forced W10 for Skylake or did IBT get it wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I changed the thread title as it seems quite possible International Business Times (original source for the article) got it wrong, intending to say Kaby Lake and using Skylake by mistake. If I find an actual correction I'll post it here and change the thread title again to reflect that.

I haven't heard from any other source that Skylake is included in the update shenanigans from M$, so I'm going to declare "fake news" on this one. Unless and until someone can offer some definitive proof to support the article I linked to this is a non event as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/microsoft-forcing-windows-7-8-124409597.html Relevant parts below.

From July onward the Intel Skylake processors will not support Windows 7 and 8, which means users will need to update to the latest operating system in order to receive further updates.

However, Microsoft did not reveal how much it would charge users of Windows 7 and 8.1 devices after the free Windows update period gets over. But users can use Windows 7 and 8.1 product keys for Windows 10 installation.

Anybody know if this might be why? https://www.thestreet.com/story/140...eed-memory-represents-a-huge-opportunity.html

Last edited:
Kaby Lake, not Sky Lake is the 7th generation Intel CPU. So the article got that detail wrong. Can we trust the rest of it?

TBH there is little reason to NOT upgrade to the newest OS. It was free for like a year and I am sure if you are affected by this there might even be a way to still get a free upgrade.

Windows 7 was a good OS, but it past its prime and is now EOL. So that is probably part of the reason they are not offering updates for it.

Windows 8.1 was also a decent OS with a gimmicky setup for touch screens that didn't play as nice with keyboard/mouse. 8.1 doesn't hit EOL until 1/10/23 , but windows 10 is pretty much superior in every way so I don't see anyone wanting to hold on to 8.1 for anything over windows 10.

Anyways that being said I think the reason kaby isn't supported on the older OS versions is because of things under the hood that they would prefer to not spend the time/money on.

I hate to say it, but it is time for people to move on to windows 10 and luckily Microsoft is planning to make windows 10 be the OS for a long time.

TBH there is little reason to NOT upgrade to the newest OS.

I have several reasons, actually. Technical and personal. The first that comes to mind is Windows 10 doesn't do what I need my computer to do. Windows 7 does.

Kaby Lake, not Sky Lake is the 7th generation Intel CPU. So the article got that detail wrong. Can we trust the rest of it?

That's a good point. But why the July cutoff? M$ never supported KL with W7/W8 updates, did they?

find a way to spoof to win update what cpu you have.

I have several reasons, actually. Technical and personal. The first that comes to mind is Windows 10 doesn't do what I need my computer to do. Windows 7 does.

That's a good point. But why the July cutoff? M$ never supported KL with W7/W8 updates, did they?

Seen you say this a few times. What can't you run on w10?

News about limited updates for new CPUs in "old" OS have couple of days now. It will affect all new Intel and AMD platforms but it will be limited only to some new updates via Windows Update. In real it won't really affect user's experience as how can they improve CPU performance or anything else when these patches were added long time ago ( at least for Intel chips ). Maybe it will affect more Ryzen users or future generations, hard to say.
Personally I have no issues on Win10. It runs better than Win7/8 in applications which have constant support and performance improvements. It's normal that Microsoft will drop additional updates for older OS. I would expect that for Win7 it will be much faster than for Win8/8.1 but well, both are almost the same. Win7 is already ~7-8 years on the market.

Seen you say this a few times. What can't you run on w10?

Media Center. The best program for DVR in a HTPC. It doesn't exist for W10 in a fully functional (not hacked) form. In addition to the fact that W7 doesn't delete, of its own volition, legally acquired and/or paid for, entertainment content on my HDD. Windows 10 has done so. I may or may not be able to acquire Media Center for Windows 8. I have a product key for MC in W8 that goes back to the Developer Preview I ran. My rig does everything, HTPC, games, web surfing, etc..

LOL
never10.jpg

Last edited:
While I understand losing Media Center could be an issue. I am also sure there are plenty of alternatives and a good few of those are probably even better. When I use to stream/htpc i never used media center. Then again different strokes for different folks.

*edit* also looking at the "hack" it is literally just downloading the old exe and running it on windows 10 in administrator mode.

Also Kodi (XMBC) is a very popular tool that is an easy replacement and very similar. Not trying to force you in to windows 10. Just throwing out information/alternatives for anyone who stumbles onto this thread and is looking for them.

I think you are correct. Microsoft at least initially said they would not "officially" support Windows 7/8.1 on the Kaby Lake platform, meaning no updates from my understanding. Whether or not they went back on that I don't know. They often do back off on those kind of policy's if they catch enough flack.

I am also sure there are plenty of alternatives and a good few of those are probably even better.

No. Not to put too fine a point on the situation, there are not.

When I use to stream/htpc i never used media center.

My TV tuner is in my computer as an add on PCIe card, so it is also my TV. My card works with the Hauppauge software (which is garbage) or Media Center. Those are my only alternatives.

*edit* also looking at the "hack" it is literally just downloading the old exe and running it on windows 10 in administrator mode.

I've yet to see anyone report full functionality with MC in W10. The TV guide is the first thing that pops up as non functional, which kills the DVR functionality by default.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are correct. Microsoft at least initially said they would not "officially" support Windows 7/8.1 on the Kaby Lake platform, meaning no updates from my understanding. Whether or not they went back on that I don't know. They often do back off on those kind of policy's if they catch enough flack.

They may not have had the infrastructure in place to keep those systems (KL/W7/W/8) from updating, even though they weren't officially supported. This may just be when they intend to intentionally block all support. Taking an active role in screwing their customers as opposed to just ignoring them.

Now I do have a question. Does anyone know a reason I can't update my W7 install and then drop a 7700k in it? Seems a (slightly) troublesome route, but quarterly updates that way seems like the way around the problem. Keep a cheap air cooler and my Skylake around for updates and run a nice, zippy KL day to day.

I never had issues with CPU swap on Win7+ as long as the mobo is the same :thup:

Me either. Right now I'm running 4600 MHz on my Skylake, so I don't know how much real world benefit I'll get from a KB. Outside of benchmarks it doesn't seem like much, although if I had money to burn (ha!) I suppose a 5.2 GHz 7700k would be a serious upgrade.

Depends on what you do with it i suppose, some games will have zero improvement (looking at Farcry Primal), others will go up a couple dozen fps. Handbrake will thank you for it :rofl:

Well, since I don't use Handbrake, and I'm already getting fps to die for in my games, no real need. But if someone did use Handbrake, or have an older i5 or i3 Skylake that had been beat in the OC arena, it seems a KL could be used in that fashion with the occasional swap for updates. Unless one of the updates borks the OS in to saying "BUSTED! You Can't Have This Processor, You Naughty Boy!" or something to that effect. LOL

Back