• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi 880g-e45 - no UEFI boot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HankB

Am I correct on this? I just updated the BIOS to latest (as of 2011.) I can find no mention of UEFI or secure boot in the BIOS or manual. Can I conclude that it does not support UEFI?

Thanks!

Edit: Won't boot USB from USB 3.0 connectors either. :mad:

Last edited:
Looking at the 880g chipset, that motherboard may have been turned out before EUFI technology became the standard. And I'm not sure the manufacturer is going to spend money to develop a retro UEFI for an old board that didn't support that technology originally. MSI has moved on in their product line. What's the date on the latest bios release?

Last edited:
That's what I thought too but I figured I'd ask in case there was somethingh I might be overlooking.

The most recent BIOS came out in 2011. Reviews on Newegg go back to 2010-06.

thanks,
hank

I have a GA-880GA-UD3H MB and the memory size of the BIOS chip is 8Mbits, the size of the UEFI BIOS chips is 32Mbits or more. Even if MSI had a UEFI BIOS for that MB, you would have to unsolder the old chip and solder a new chip on your MB. So no go on UEFI for 880 chipset MB's as far as I know.

Makes sense then that MSI never updated the BIOS to include UEFI support. I had no idea so much code ws required to support that.

thanks,
hank

Back