• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Father Time Down!!! Help!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwartHack

Babysitter for OCF Lounge Day Care, Still a bad-as
So I am working on my rig, putting back in the second gCard.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...List-project?p=8002793&viewfull=1#post8002793

I had unplugged the mobo PSU harness to run the pumps, then when I plugged back in this problem.

IMG_0096.JPG

I pulled the harness, found two loose connections (one popped while I was aggressively inspecting it.)
I replaced them and then ran through every pin with the multi-meter until satisfied. Still NADA!!

And it appears no CPU juice?? Right?? But I didn't mess with that, except....
I moved it from CPU2 to CPU1. So I moved it back, just for laughs. NADA.

Currently in the manual looking for the voltage read spots in the board.
Was thinking about just unplugging the CPU power and testing it directly with the power on, but thought to post here first before I HackRichard something...
Can I directly test the connections in the CPU mobo power connector?

I am 99% sure the mobo power is A-O-K, what am I missing that would cause this.
Could this be water? No major spills or anything of the such...

Anyone! Comments/Advice/Disparagement

Eskerrik Asko !!!
(Thanks in Basque)

Given your skill level (high), all I have is clear CMOS the long way (pull battery, push power button to drain caps, etc.).
Thanks Alaric, I appreciate that:thup: Yeah, gonna have to tear down a little. I can barely get to the Voltage measures and I believe the battery is right under a gCard.
I am still very perplexed...

cd said:
have you taken a toothpick and pushed each terminal home?
The toothpick is not part of my regular crimping kit, but it did make me turn my attention back to the harness and see how at "home" each terminal was..
And seeing a pattern emerge that the factory crimped end of the CableMods I used are getting some push-back. But...
work in progress..

cd - your disparagement needs some work:D:cool:

Leugo

May just be a confused BIOS. I've had an issue or two with that very board. Can I ask why your RAM is in the red slots? And did you try reseating them, as well? I had an issue with my RAM at one point during the build when it was fully seated, but wanted some attention (emotionally needy TridentZ). A reseat and all was well.

This cant be good!

May just be a confused BIOS. I've had an issue or two with that very board. Can I ask why your RAM is in the red slots? And did you try reseating them, as well? I had an issue with my RAM at one point during the build when it was fully seated, but wanted some attention (emotionally needy TridentZ). A reseat and all was well.

I am emotionally needy as well...
Problem is nobody around to re-seat me.:-/

Dug out the stock mobo psu cable to put doubts of the harness to rest...

IMG_0132.JPG

So yeah err, this could part of the problem.
I just put this gCard back in. I think previously it must have got some water in it??

IMG_0137.JPG

IMG_0139.JPG

The battery is exactly below the lower left front port on the second Gcard, the port I previously used...
Hopefully this is it, and the only it!!!
2.64 V on the battery, I got another laying around somewhere.... maybe, or off to batteries plus tomorrow...

Paz

A shorted battery can indeed make your board unhappy. And I've found being reseated isn't as fulfilling for people as it seems to be for disturbed RAM. LOL

A shorted battery can indeed make your board unhappy...
I am surprised it lasted as long as it did? It seems oldish to me??

And it couldn't be more perfectly lined up. (the gCard port and battery socket)
Probably got some drops in it when I had to tear down due to the green stuff??

IMG_0143.JPG

But I've put hours on it since then?? Anyway, no love on a battery so it will have to wait, tired anyway...

My poor hacked up harness:( replaced a few loose wires anyway...

IMG_0145.JPG

Sueños

If the rig is on most of the time it may not have been drawing juice from the battery much anyway. If all is well with the new battery that will make feel better about the toughness of the board. :D

the fact that DR. debug is inop in the picture you posted indicates that motherboard power is the issue.
what happened when you swapped harnesses? did DR. debug light?

the fact that DR. debug is inop in the picture you posted indicates that motherboard power is the issue.
what happened when you swapped harnesses? did DR. debug light?

No change using the original PSU mobo cable as a harness. That's when I turned my attention to the battery...
Actually got worse! Only the power button lit up and did nothing when pushed.

Salud

did you check the terminals on the psu end?
do you have another psu you can power the board with?

Ok, starting to trip a little. Replacing the battery didn't change anything...:-/

To completely take the psu and cables out of the mix, I jacked in my psu from The Bianch, and the behavior was the same!
Something different though. Sometimes, the power button comes on and does nothing....
I then unplug/switch /off/on and it fires up as before with no codes...

So going backwards here as now I feel the second gCard may be culprit, or something that happened while re-installing it.
Gonna start tearing down until I get to the bare mobo, AARRRGGHHH:bang head

Cheers!

Really Stumped Now - Not Looking Good

...Can I ask why your RAM is in the red slots? ...

err, Sorry..didn't forget, just knew I had to find this on-line, which at the time I did not feel like...
Unless I am missing something, I set them up on Channel A.

EDIT: looking at this now, err yeah uh, seems wrong... (what happened to "embarrassed face"?)

manual.JPG

And how about this for shiats-n-guffaws:
right out of the package!!!!

IMG_0147.JPG

These are the right ones, uh, had the same ding-dang number? Should be 3.3v!?
The second one came in at 3.18v...

IMG_0149.JPG

Anyway, no love and here is what I am dealing with now...

IMG_0158.JPG

All I get now is just the light!!! And pushing it does NADA!

Unless - I monkey around with: unplugging, clearing caps and pressing all button, plug-in, etc...
It will click over and be like before:-/ Running, but with no codes and no measurable Vs on the measure points.

Anyone? Before I pull the mono-block....

Is this corrosion too?

untitled.JPG

You have a short somewhere. Strip it from the case and start from scratch on the table. Test 1 part at a time. You're sure that you didn't misplace a wire when you fixed the ends?

Crap, sorry about the crappy pic. My work is usually better than that...
No, its lettering inside the socket, but I feel once I pull the board (in progress) I could expect similar corrosion on the other side of the battery housing.

Salud

would you please just buy duracell batteries from now on please.
I get a feeling the board has died bud.

would you please just buy duracell batteries from now on please. I get a feeling the board has died bud.

No Shiat! Trying to find the date on all the pieces of packaging laying around...

This must be a symptom of a short??? Or bad battery?
I put in a new 3.3+ V battery when I got it on the workbench. Still nothing...
Hour or so later come back to it. On a whim, check the battery, 2.86v....

When installing the second Gcard, it kinda thunked in there, Think it hosed the Battery connection. The battery housing is just a tiny bit loose.
Here are a few pics for those who get their jollies scouring mobo circuitry. These pics should be better...
err, cough-cough, Mr. Scott... (your the man Scotty!)

IMG_0159.JPG

IMG_0167.JPG

IMG_0162.JPG

IMG_0163.JPG

In the end, the SwartHack was a cautious shopper.

squaretrade.JPG

Anyone every dealt with these guys? I know Jim Rome pimps them, or at least used to...

Buenas!

No experience with them but I may when I finally do something about my audio issue. If they give you a hard time, maybe reflow the solder for the battery holder?

Might not be that simple, quite easily could have fried the BIOS chip too I would think.

Back