• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1080 ti Strix review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
They can't do much with power limit and voltages. Max PL is 20% the same as in reference card and then it overclocks ... the same or even a bit worse than reference one. The only advantage over FE is better cooler but price will be higher.
I don't know if you noticed one thing. PCB looks better but card under load has ~280W while FE ~230W. This is huge difference and it's also described in this review. So "better" design is actually causing much higher power usage at not much better settings. Power design is up to 300W for FE and 375W for Strix but overclocked FE has something near 270W so better power design is not helping in anything. For Strix dual 8 pin connectors are helping as card would hit power limit on 6+8 power connectors ... but again it's not overclocking better than FE.

I doubt that GTX1080Ti will be fully unlocked. I just can't see any much better results on non-reference cards than on FE and it's exactly what we've seen in GTX1070/80. It doesn't change fact that from stock ~1500MHz these cards boost up to ~2050MHz stable.

When the i5 6600 overclocked they attacked it with a malicious "update". Whenever you buy a GPU your already paying a premium for the assumed "fast mode" +20% no more or less guaranteed!

They've taken it over and milk it like some brilliant marketing thing. Now if something clocks higher it's because it's allowed too. Overclocking is just so formal now, They've taken the "over" out of overclocking, it's not even a thing anymore in my mind.

Interesting the GTX 1080 Ti FE did a little better overclock with a smaller cooler then the ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC.

the FE is looking like a good buy the more i learn. i think a vanilla card with a good warranty and no tax for 699.99 from b & h may be the way to go. if a big cooler is only going to stabilize an extra 50-100 mhz that's only going to be a couple % difference in fps for an extra 40-50 bucks i could use for something else. it's the noise i'm worried about. if it idles quietly enough then i think i can live with a little load noise as long as it's not completely ridiculous. as far as i can tell most people can do a pretty steady 2ghz on FE cards at maybe 65% fan. doesn't sound so bad. i'm getting the itch dammit.

I'm pretty comfortable with my 980Ti @ 3440x1440 60hz. I might wait for the next monitor upgrade, which will be when they show me 3440x1440 HDR 100hz Gsync. What's next on Nvidia's road map? 1080Ti doesn't quite rock 4k yet, there's nothing for me to gain right now except a little DSR in some games.

Doesn't rock 4k yet?

it averages 60fps+ in most games i've seen but still dips to 30-40 fps minimum sometimes in current games. it's probably good enough to enjoy but 60fps minimum will probably require a similar jump in power that the 980ti had going to 1080ti. like, 80% or so. and that's with current games. new games will need even more horsepower.

Back